‘Potter’ series continues to provide life-long lessons

The “Harry Potter” series is by far one of the best things ever created. I will freely admit I’m a total nerd when it comes to the book series and the movies.

I remember reading the first book when I was in third grade and instantly loved it. I quickly read the other ones and anticipated the fourth book coming out. My dad used to go to the midnight releases and grab one copy for my sister and me. When we woke the next morning the new book would be sitting on the kitchen table.

I distinctly remember having the Nimbus 2001 broomstick, various “Harry Potter” games, including Clue, trivia and Scene It, along with a Hermione doll. My cousins and I would pretend to be Harry, Ron and Hermione, using chopsticks for our wands.

When the seventh book came out, I was, along with the rest of the world, completely devastated that the series was over. But, we still had the movies to look forward to, so that wasn’t too bad.

However all good things must come to an end and the final movie premiered in the summer of 2011. It was terrible because I grew up on the series. It was my childhood and taught me so many things.

In my English major mind, it’s all real, too. Like everyone else, my letter was lost in the mail. But I’m convinced it will find it’s way…eventually.

One of the reasons why I love the series so much is how believable it is, despite it being made up. The characters jump off the page and I consider Hermione and I to be very good friends.

There’s something so magical, no pun intended, when you read a book and feel like you know the characters. When you feel their emotions, whether it is happy, sad, angry, frustrated, that’s a sign of an amazing author.

I think that also has to be one of the reasons why I’m inspired by it. As a writer myself, I am constantly trying to perfect my technique and J.K. Rowling is definitely one author who has influenced me in so many ways.

“Harry Potter” really did teach me so much; to be loyal to your friends, to never give up, to never judge a book by its cover and that love is the most powerful weapon.

Rereading the books and rewatching the movies only makes me a bigger fan and I feel like I experience the series all over again, in a whole new way. There is so much to be taken away from them.

If you’ve never picked up one of the “Harry Potter” books or movies, I strongly encourage it; however, read the books first and then the movies. Even though they are technically children’s books, adults will take something away from these books as well.

I hope my crazy, fan-girl obsession with the series will spark some interest in those who have yet to experience it. That way you can share in my fascination with it and we can be nerds together.

SAMMIE JANIK