Editor rekindles flame with Andy Williams

Now that Halloween has passed, it’s time to get ready for Christmas.

My mother is a firm believer in signing all the tags and cards from Christmas with “Santa.” I definitely don’t object to it because it’s nice to pretend I’m still a kid.

Let me tell you how insane my family is about Christmas. On Halloween we generally start writing out Christmas lists, but considering we’re older, we don’t get gifts anymore.

My mother’s house is transformed into a “Winter Wonderland,” with Christmas knick-knacks, nutcrackers, a tree that’s roughly 6 feet tall and a lady who runs through the house every hour spraying a terrible pine scent – my mother.

My family has baking nights, during which the girls in the family and my best friend stay up to the latest of hours and bake more than eight different types of cookies. Needless to say, after that night, I can’t stand cookies until December comes around again – if that.

Almost every year, my mother makes my family go to the Christmas Story House in downtown Cleveland – about 20 minutes away from where I live.

The Christmas Story House never changes, or at least it hasn’t the past five times I’ve been there, but some things you just have to do to make your mother happy.

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet and I’m sure my mother is sitting at home signing Christmas cards so she doesn’t forget, and soon enough, she’ll be stocking up on socks and shaving kits for my brothers and me – necessities for young adults.

A normal night during Christmas time at my house includes sitting in the living room, watching a Christmas movie, lighting our fireplace and enjoying a nice Christmas Ale with a cinnamon sugared rim – compliments of Great Lakes Brewing Co.

My mother loves Christmas so much that even our dogs get presents. But hey, dogs are a part of the family, too.

My personal favorite time during Christmas is being able to hibernate. It’s too cold to be outside for almost everyone, so I don’t have to worry about getting yelled at for laying around like a slug during Christmas break.

Ever since I was younger, I always enjoyed Christmas time. It was never because my brothers and I were showered with gifts – the Langham children always got spoiled – but because we’ve always spent quality time together.

The whole feeling of Christmas is indescribable, but you can just sense it.

I think it’s safe to say that anyone who gives off a Grinch-like attitude will be shunned – at least during the month of November and December.