How to take ‘break’ out of this year’s Fall Break

It’s about that time of year when almost everybody is ready for fall break to be here.

I don’t know about you, but I like the idea of being able to go home, wake up at noon, binge-watch a series on Netflix and read a few books that I’ve been meaning to read for a while now.

Sadly though, I don’t think I’m going to be able to do that.

While I’m really looking forward to a few days without classes, every year, Fall Break seems to last for about two seconds and then I’m back on Gannon’s campus wondering what I did over break.

Usually the answer is either study for the midterms I have after break or try to get over a cold I was fighting for a few weeks.

I’m not trying to say that I’m ungrateful that I have time to study for the midterms without having to worry about class and all of the other responsibilities I have while at school or anything like that, but it never works out the way I plan.

I would honestly prefer to be able to get all of my midterms out of the way before I go on break. That way, I could take five days to vegetate a bit before I come back to class and responsibilities. I usually do better on the midterms I take before break than the ones I take immediately after.

With the tests I take before break, I’m getting exposed to the material regularly; therefore, it’s easier for me to know what material I should study for the test I take.

While I probably should take each day of fall break to study a little bit for each test, I don’t. I usually end up wasting time for the first three days of break and then I end up cramming the material I need to know for at least one class two days before I have to take the test.

At this point, my brain is rusty when it comes to knowing the material, I keep finding excuses not to study the info because I’m just so scared to find out how much I don’t know and then I end up having a break down while I’m trying to memorize all of the material before this test.

I usually end up doing fine in the end, but at the time it’s really stressful and ridiculously inconvenient.

So as a way to solve this irritating predicament I usually put myself into – and I hope I’m not the only one who does it – I’d like to propose that professors schedule any midterm exams that they plan on giving before fall break.

This would be beneficial to the professors as well as the students. The professors who give these exams wouldn’t be testing a bunch of college students who are suffering from what I call “break brain” and they’d be able to take the time break gives them to grade the exams without having to worry about taking time to plan a lot of lessons or teach a class.

That way, students can go home and actually have a break on their fall break and professors wouldn’t have to worry about whether or not students will remember the material when they come back.

Well, the professors would have to worry less.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI