People change, but don’t like things to be different

It really bugs me when people don’t like anything straying out of the status quo.

This week, Panic! at the Disco, one of my favorite bands, leaked its new album online before its wide release Tuesday.

I listened to it, and it wasn’t what I was used to, but I still thought the album was pretty good. Some songs are similar to the singles that were released and some weren’t. That’s beside the point though.

The only thing that really bummed me out is that I have to wait another week to be able to go out and buy it.

After listening to the album, I went online to see what other people thought of it. Quite a bit of people were freaking out – much like myself – and talking about how great the album is. Some, however, were less than happy about some of the other songs on the album.

A lot of the people who had problems with the album kept saying that these songs don’t sound anything like what the band has released before, they don’t sound anything like the singles on the album and some other comments along those lines.

While I do believe that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, it’s such a shame that some people have such negative views to this album just because some of the songs are a little different.

That’s not all though. These types of people are generally the same people who say they don’t like artists like Taylor Swift because all of her songs sound too similar.

I just don’t understand. If you don’t want songs that are different and you don’t want songs that are similar, what do you want?

I guess I can understand that not every single song an artist makes should sound the same as the other one, but I am also a strong proponent of bands being able to release whatever they want as long as it sounds good and is still true to the band’s style.

I personally think Panic! at the Disco did that with this album, which is why I’m so peeved that so many people are mad because some of the songs on the album sound different. It still sounds like Panic! at the Disco and it still sounds good.

Besides, if you are a huge fan of the band and you have listened to all of the albums they have released, you would know that the group has released songs that are much more different than the ones in this album. If you haven’t, go listen to “Pretty. Odd.” Then tell me the songs on the new album are too different.

I can definitely say, as someone who has been listening to Panic! at the Disco for seven years, that “Pretty. Odd.” is probably one of the stranger albums I’ve heard in my day.

That being said, I still liked it because it still sounded like the band, and the new album doesn’t even come close to being as different.

I guess the point I’m trying to make here is that people should be open to a band wanting to put a variety of different music on an album they release. Also, if you’re going to complain about one artist sounding too similar all the time, please don’t complain about another sounding too different.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI