Fluctuation in clothing sizes annoys shoppers

It appears there is no logic to the sizing process of women’s clothing. Well, maybe there is some logic, but very little of it exists.

Whatever logic may be there lacks universality, which can become quite irritating at times.

Personally I think finding clothes that fit would be much easier if dresses and pants were sized the same way that men’s clothing is sized.

The first number is based on your waist size and the second is based on your inseam.

This system is pretty hard to screw up. In America, an inch is an inch is an inch.

Not much room exists to mess that up.

I don’t know what sort of voodoo decided the number sizes on women’s clothing, but it would definitely be easier if dresses could just have measurements based on your chest/waist/hips and pants measured like men’s pants.

The same size in two different dresses can fit a woman completely differently depending on when it was made, where it was made, who manufactured it and whether the dress is juniors, women’s, petite  or misses.

Personally, my clothing size ranges between three different numbers depending on these factors.

However, this past weekend the sizes on these tags took my irritation to another level.

I was looking for a dress that I’d like to wear to a formal.

I found a dress that was classy, elegant and overall very pretty. The only problem was that it was five sizes bigger than what I normally wear.

Luckily for me, my mother was with me and wanted me to try the dress on anyway, despite its tag, because the dress did not look as if it were that size.

It fit almost perfectly.

It’s utterly ridiculous that a dress that fits me almost perfectly is marked five sizes bigger than what I normally wear.

The fact that this happens makes shopping online for clothes almost impossible.

Some women don’t care at first, but then when they order something and it ends up being bigger or smaller than they expected, they’re not happy.

Generally online stores will let you send it back and get a different size, but that whole issue could be avoided if sizes on women’s clothing weren’t so confusing.

Plus, it would mean a lot more women would start shopping online, which would provide much more business to online stores.

This would never happen with men’s clothing.

No designer would mark a waistline or an inseam five inches wider or longer than it is.

People would get angry, and it just doesn’t make any sense.

If designers cannot come to a universal decision on how women’s clothing should be sized – which it appears that they can’t – I think it would be much easier if they were sized by measurements, different ones pertaining to different types of clothing.

It would save a lot of hassle in shopping for clothes and it would mean a lot less traffic in the dressing rooms.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI