Editor advises students to prepare for cooler weather

One thing that can either make your day or put you in a bad mood, which people don’t often think about until they’re outside, is the weather.

I’ve noticed that since the weather started getting cooler, people have been breaking out their sweaters, winter jackets, scarves, boots and other assorted winter gear. I also have been bundling up.

But most people around Erie have noticed that the weather this year has been particularly warm.

Aside from the few days of snow we’ve had this semester, everything has been pretty mild.

I remember growing up in Northwest Pennsylvania where there has been snow continuously from October to April.

The weather was hardly that bad at the beginning of the spring semester and it certainly has not been like that this semester.

My point of all of this is that since several people, including myself, have already begun to bundle up, what’s going to happen once the temperatures drop below 30?

Assuming the weather becomes twice as cold as it normally has been, does that mean that people will need to bundle up twice as much?

Imagine doubling up on every sort of winter gear, sweaters, coats, etc.

That’s not to say everyone should be wearing a T-shirt and capris, but if it already feels cold now when there has been a small amount of snow, how cold is it going to feel once it starts to snow every day?

If Gannon were hit with 3 inches of snow every day for the next week, chances are after the snow is gone and the weather went up to 45 degrees, people would be dressing in much lighter clothing than they are now.

It makes sense that 45 degrees feels a lot colder than the 80-degree weather that Erie experienced during the summer and at the beginning of the semester, but it’s scary to think that by next semester it’s only going to get colder.

Now some people may claim that they like the snow because it’s pretty.

But for those who see snow as a cold, road-closing, nose-running, hair-frizzing annoyance, it’s not so great.

Snow can be very pretty, but it’s not so pretty when it takes someone almost four and a half blocks to get to class.

That’s not to mention the horrible wind that Erie gets, which always makes the temperature seem to be 10 degrees cooler that what the thermometer says.

Anyway the point of this piece is to warn people that if you’re already bundling up because the weather is unfathomably cold outside, just wait.

Things are only going to get colder.

The best advice that can be given is to just bundle up, even if you don’t want to look like a marshmallow.

This may not be the most aethetic choice for your outfit, but there comes a time in every person’s life where they have to chose comfort or cold.

Besides, you can always take off some of the layers you have on once you’re inside.

On the off chance that Erie gets another warm year, you can completely disregard this, but if it doesn’t, be prepared and don’t get caught in the cold.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI

Things are only going to get colder.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI