Time zone change affects editor in negative manner

I think the country has had enough of daylight saving time.

As the name suggests, daylight saving was originally created so that people could have an extra hour of daylight.

But now, I feel like it is doing the opposite.

Since the clocks were set back Nov. 4, the sun has set at around 5:15 p.m. and the sky is almost pitch black by 6 p.m.

I looked outside after waking up from a nap and thought it was almost midnight.

Now, I understand that this change shouldn’t be immediate, as everyone loved getting an extra hour of sleep and would be a bit upset if clocks had to be set one hour ahead so soon, but after the clocks are set an hour ahead in the spring, we should just leave them as such.

The days in late fall and winter are already short – is it really necessary for them to be cut even shorter?

Granted, it’s nice to wake up to see the sun has already risen.

But once the sun sets, I feel a lot more tired than I probably should feel at 6 p.m. and I definitely do not want to go to bed that early.

This type of tiredness is definitely not healthy, especially for the busy college student.

After classes, students often have to do homework, work for after school activities or work at a job.

With all of this, it can be quite difficult to start wanting the day to end at 6 p.m.

I know that daylight saving has been around for centuries, but I don’t remember the sun setting this early before a few years ago, at least in Erie anyway.

And the easier part about getting rid of daylight saving time is that this isn’t a worldwide phenomenon.

Not every country acknowledges it, so we would just have to get the United States as a whole to agree that it’s a good idea.

That’s the hard part. With all the different types of people spread all the way across the country, it can be difficult to get everyone to agree on anything.

Just listen to any political debate.

Because of this, I understand that if anyone in power does decide that daylight saving should be disbanded in the United States, it will probably take at least a few years to pass anything.

Although, I see that as potentially going horribly.

But each region has its own time zone – why shouldn’t we add another timing difference to the equation?

I believe the United States should be rid of daylight saving time as soon as possible. I understand it takes a while for change to be made to the way we do things in this country, but I think that it would be for the better.

The benefits of being more alert and having more daylight during the day would outweigh the work that needs to be put in to make this change happen.

This change probably won’t be in history books, but it will make our lives easier.

And maybe in a few years 6 p.m. will actually look like 6 p.m. in the winter.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI