Information is first step to confidence

As promised last week, it’s time for The Knight to join the rest of the country in its political battle.

But before you start gearing up for a fight, let’s get something straight: we’re not here to endorse a candidate.

While it’s true that most newspapers in the country do choose a side, The Knight is in a unique position. We’re not sure that we can.

The subject has been broached among the university’s administration, but a final decision has yet to be made. The trouble lies in the fact that Gannon University is a tax-exempt entity; in exchange for this status, the university needs to stay out of the campaigning arena.

Whether the university’s newspaper is subject to the same rules is still up for debate.

So we’ll keep it general. At least for this issue.

Regardless of whether your prefer Obama, Romney or someone else, the important thing here is that you have a preference. If you’re going to vote, make it count.

The president of the United States is a really big deal. So when you’re in that voting booth, make sure you know what you’re doing.

First of all, catch up on the presidential debates. There are only three – it won’t take you that long. Hulu even offers just the highlights.

Secondly, don’t trust most news media outlets to give you completely accurate information – except this one, of course. If it’s facts you’re looking for, then head to an unbiased website or two. Politico.com is a good place to start.

And finally, talk to people about it. Ask your family members who they’ve voting for and why. Whether you agree with them is beside the point; but it does make a difference what other people think.

And when you’re all done and you’ve made your decision, let us know. See Eric Stormer’s guest editorial this week, which you can find on Page 3, for reference.

Even if we can’t make a choice, you certainly can.