Disappointment lingers on shelves of Nash Library

Many of Gannon University students who went to Nash Library’s website for the first time this semester were in for a shock – it looks completely different.

Though all the same content exists, the website is all around a lot easier to use now.

The difference is directly in the design. Not only does it look much nicer and more professional, but it’s a heck of a lot easier to use, too.

A link to the useful databases like EBSCO-Host and JSTOR, for example, is now presented right before your eyes once you log in. It can’t get better than that when you’re in the mood for some hardcore researching.

The site also has easy access to the library catalog, and presents “high interest items” so you can see what everyone else at Gannon seems to be looking for.

Unfortunately, everyone at Gannon is looking for the wrong thing.

It’s through no fault whatsoever of the library staff, Information Technology Services or anyone else who helped create the new site. Actually, the site is going to be the only positive note this column has to offer.

The problem lies in what Gannon students seem to be searching for. Nash’s most popular search title is none other than the infamous “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

Really, Gannon?

Even if you simply have to read E. L. James’ top-selling novel, I think you should have the decency to hide it from everyone else. Or go ahead and spend the 15 bucks to own it for yourself. But don’t let it be the one book you check out for enjoyment during your college career.

I have never endeavored to read the novel, so I’ll own up to the fact that I can’t tell you exactly what you’ll be missing. But some reliable sources have informed me that it’s probably a waste of time – time that could be used reading much better stories.

It’s sad that this is the title displayed on a page where we all should be going for scholarly sources. I don’t think it’s wrong to read books from the library for pleasure, but I do find it kind of sad that Nash even has a copy – let alone three – of 50 Shades.

What’s more, the wait period for a copy is five days. And you have to wait 16 days to get your hands on one of Nash’s copies of the sequel, “Fifty Shades Darker.”

It makes me wonder what this world is coming to, if this is the writing level Americans enjoy these days. What are we, as Gannon students, saying to the world by being willing to wait 16 days to read such bad and unoriginal literature?

Even if you’re genuinely just an avid reader of adult themes, I’m confident you can find something better to read, even on the shelves of Nash.

In the meantime, check out a decent novel next time you’re there. You may be surprised by what a truly good book can do for your life.

KELLY MORELAND