Student hangout should serve spirits

How does Gannon get students in the door of its coming soon student hangout in the former Antler’s space? One thing is neccessary: alcohol.

Before anyone prepares any rotten vegetables to throw, let’s think about it.

The clear observation is that One Green World Café struggled to attract a steady flow of students. What exactly was the cause or how to fix it is debatable, but let’s focus on what the new space has to offer.

It’s also plain how many students walk off campus to experience the Erie nightlife, legally or otherwise. Once they’re gone, they’re out of the reach of Gannon security.

A watering hole that is run and approved by Gannon would benefit the university by absorbing some profit, yet also giving students a secure place to grab a drink or two. And Gannon’s establishment means Gannon’s rules, whether that’s hours, drink limits, etc.

The debate boils down to one key carousel of an argument: Can Gannon’s Catholic identity coexist with its students’ weekend activities?

This is college, after all, the time when young people “experiment.” Doesn’t the university want to be there to guide those experiments rather than just warn against them?

Picture it. Instead of promising not to get caught, students can anticipate the university’s approach to maturing in the world that surrounds them.

Students and faculty could meet in a safe, friendly environment that would promote fellowship.

This argument isn’t about starting a fight or even upsetting the university’s well-deserved reputation for Catholic integrity.

It’s about Gannon understanding and connecting with its students in a social world that reveals itself when teenagers become adults.

Gannon can be there for that growth process, if it wants to be.

With the success of “Theology on Tap,” the university is at least cognizant of its students’ maturity.

Now let’s bring that mutual respect back on campus, instead of letting students walk off.