Internet provides endless entertainment year round

I have more days than I’d like to admit when I set out to accomplish several things that need to get done, but end up spending most of the day surfing the Internet.

That’s about where I’m at right now. Well, not at the moment, but I feel like I may be receding back to that.

If you’re anything like me, most of you who are reading this already spend most of your life on the Internet. It never was a huge deal for me; it would just take me a lot longer to accomplish tasks that would normally take half the time.

This summer though, I reached an all-time low. I was at home after working seven and a half hours, and I didn’t have anything to do that night, and there really wasn’t anything on TV. So, I pulled up my laptop and started surfing the web.

This was around the time that I decided it would be a good idea to watch every episode of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. When you do the math, seven seasons with about 22 episodes per season amounts to about 157 episodes that I watched in about under a month.

Anyway, I went to almost every website that I could possibly go to, but after a few hours, I could not find anything entertaining at all. I had reached a stalemate. I literally felt as if nothing else was left for me to do with my life. That’s when I knew I needed to find a solution.

Being the nerd that I am, I have a pretty vast collection of books; some I have read and some I have yet to read. Henceforth, I started to read some of the books intermittently between my Internet sessions.

I felt as though I was being more enthralled with the book than I had been with the internet in the past month, even though most of the books I was reading were about dragons and had fantastical themes. It fed my mind as opposed to numbing it.

Another event occurred shortly after my realization of the Internet owning my life: I got a smart phone. This sort of helped to keep me away from the internet, but I was spending a lot of time downloading and using apps.

It did not take me long to realize that smart phones have particularly short battery lives that become shorter when you use apps. So that ended pretty quickly.

Now that I’m back at school and busier than I’d like to admit, I rarely have time to get on the Internet as much as I did over the summer, or even last year. I still make time to check my email once a day, just in case something important shows up.

Hopefully my crazy schedule will continue to foil my habit of wasting time, but websites with titles such as “I waste so much time” make it more than a bit difficult. I fear that memes and pictures of cats will be my downfall.

Hopefully from now on, I’ll be able to restrain myself from having the Internet consume my life more than it already is at the moment. I don’t know how well that’s going to work, but you can bet I will try. At least for a little while.

KHADIJA DJELLOULI