Editor ponders adulthood as senior cohorts say goodbye

In just a few days, many of my friends will be crossing the threshold into a whole new chapter: post-college life.

If there’s anything I’ve come to realize from this time of year, it’s that I am entirely not ready for this to happen to me.

I don’t want to order my cap and gown, and I most certainly don’t want to start seriously thinking about where I want to go in life.

The thought of graduating any time soon is truly terrifying. Maybe it’s purely because I still don’t know what I want to do with my English degree, at least not for sure.

But honestly, it has to be more than that. I don’t want to grow up.

In my mind, I’m still a kid.

A lot of the people I have become close friends with over the past couple of years don’t get to be kids anymore. It’s grow-up time, and I’m really not sure how I feel about it.

I’m sure they can deal with it — I mean, they kind of have to now. But I don’t think I can deal with it. If my friends are being forced into adulthood, that means I’m not that far behind.

While I’m in no hurry to become a real adult, I can’t deny that responsibility seems like it comes with perks.

It would be nice not to have to go to classes every day, or worry about homework, or try to cram in my plethora of social activities. None of those things will be a huge part of my grown-up agenda.

But some parts of adulthood will, unfortunately, be unavoidable. It will not be particularly nice to constantly worry about bills, finding and keeping a good job, and finding and keeping a good husband. Not that the last one is all that big on my list of priorities – I have a hard enough time living with myself, let alone a gross boy.

Anyway, I know that graduation is quickly approaching for me, and I’m sure that I will continue to grow both in knowledge and confidence as the year progresses.

Just as I have seen my friends do during the past year, I will come to accept the fact that college is not real life. And maybe, if I’m lucky, I’ll actually be anticipating my graduation and that new chapter by this time next year.

One thing I am looking forward to for next year, however, is a different kind of responsibility. As I step back in my academic responsibilities with only 13 credits to speak of, I will be stepping up as the new editor-in-chief of The Knight.

I am extremely thankful to have been given this opportunity, and I’m looking forward to working with the new staff to make 2012-2013 a great and memorable year for this university-centered newspaper.

This new responsibility will undoubtedly fuel me with some of the essential skills of responsibility that my childish nature is currently lacking.

And, just to be clear, I definitely view that as a good thing.

Though this column is far from goodbye for me, it is goodbye for several of my colleagues at The Knight. I am going to miss them all tremendously, and I thank them all for the help and guidance that has led me to this point.

To all the seniors, congratulations and good luck. I hope you are happy to be in the place you are, and that you make the transition from kid to adult peacefully.

Someday, I’ll be able to say I’ve done the same.

KELLY MORELAND