Knight Vision

The opportunities for seniors to take part in their “lasts” around campus will soon start piling up.

Next week, it’ll be their last chance to vote in an SGA election, but before The Knight gets ahead of itself, let’s get through this week first.

Friday, when the Gannon University women’s basketball team takes on Johnson C. Smith in the first round of the NCAA Division II tournament at Edinboro’s McComb Fieldhouse, may very well serve as the last chance for the seniors to show some school spirit.

Unless, that is, you enjoy freezing your behind off at any of the early spring time baseball, softball or lacrosse games at Gannon University Field. But judging by previous attendance, not many of you do.

If the chance to root on the basketball team in the big dance at a location as close as Edinboro won’t motivate you enough to make the trip, you may reconsider after hearing that the athletic department is offering free transportation, pizza, pop and tickets to the game.

Now if that piques your interest, you’ll want to be one of the first 50 students to email Dee Smith, at [email protected], to secure your place on the fan bus that starts boarding at 10:45 a.m. Friday outside the Zurn Science Center.

Although the lack of school spirit eventually pays off in the form of bribes to attend games, it doesn’t make that fact any less depressing.

Students at other schools camp out for tickets and travel longer distances just for the chance to storm the court with their team after a victory of magnitude.

We at Gannon, however, are only interested if storming the University’s goody bag is involved.

It doesn’t matter if you go because you’re a freeloader or devoted fan.

No one on the court is going to care why you’re there, they’ll appreciate it just the same.