Knight Vision

Three different winners in three different political primary contests.

The race to become the Republican Party’s next presidential candidate has become as predictable as Lady Gaga’s wardrobe.

And although it might not be the ideal situation for the GOP, it is good for those of us at Gannon University.

It means that the delegates won in our state’s primary contest on April 24 might actually make a difference.

The largely white and conservative voices in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina usually decide who will be representing the rest of the party in the general election come November.

The extended political drama may afford opportunities for the remaining candidates to campaign in Pennsylvania, one of the last 19 states to cast its ballot in the process.

But with the privilege of finally having canidtates visit the Keystone State for the first time and having a bigger role than a rubber stamp, comes responsibility – a responsibility to become well-versed in the issues and the people arguing them.

That process should start now. Actually it should’ve started Tuesday by listening to the president’s State of the Union address. But if you were too busy watching the Heat take on the Cavaliers, you can start by taking mental notes during the candidates’ next debate Thursday on CNN.

It doesn’t mean you have to become an expert on constitutional law or change your major to political science, but it does mean you should read the occasional newspaper column or watch the lastest news clip. Even though it’s not enough, its better than nothing.

And although only Republicans can vote in the primary come April, it shouldn’t deter blue dog Democrats from soaking in information.

Because if this country ever needed an educated decision, this November is it.