Film gives editor pause about galaxy far, far away

I spent much of my Christmas break commandeering my parents’ Netflix account.

For most of my time off. I watched a few good films while slouched on the couch, trying to limit the number of Christmas cookie crumbs that tried to erode the stitches of my pajamas.

My favorite movie I had the fortune to rent via Netflix was a documentary titled “The People vs. George Lucas.” Its producers compiled hundreds of hours of user footage from “Star Wars” fans asking for their input on the legendary filmmaker, including their reverence for the original trilogy and their bitterness toward the prequel trilogy. The passion of “Star Wars” fans from all walks of life raised one imperative question in the minds of every individual who has a claim to the “Star Wars” legacy: Does the collective masterpiece of George Lucas belong to the filmmaker, or its obsessed fan base?

There was no denying the depth of passion of “Star Wars” fans, at least from the evidence presented in the film. There must have been at least 15 different references to “Star Wars” fan films and re-cuts. A majority of people dressed as Stormtroopers and Princess Leias were in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, but there were a few opinions from individuals around my age.

But this passion proved to be a double-edged sword. For when the flocks of fans lined up to see “Episode I: The Phantom Menace” – Lucas’ first “Star Wars” film in 16 years – that devotion to one man and his vision peaked right before plummeting to an all-time low that continues today.

Standing outside of a cinema debuting “The Phantom Menace,” one reporter even had the nerve to ask two fans, “Well, what if it’s not good?” “IT’S STAR WARS!” one nerd said excitedly. “There’s NO WAY it couldn’t be good!”

There are many problems with the “Star Wars” prequels. The earth-splitting errors stemmed from poor writing on Lucas’ end, flat characters and dull dialogue between them. Sure, the special effects Lucas poured onto the screen were phenomenal, but without the story to back them up, moviegoers everywhere felt something was missing decades after the original trilogy captivated audiences of all ages.

From what I could tell, the biggest disappointment came from fans well into their middle years who had been kids themselves when “Star Wars” hit theaters. They felt betrayed by the man who had opened their eyes all those years ago. Can my generation completely relate with them? I’m not so certain. Sure, I prefer the original trilogy over the prequel trilogy every day of the week, and now after several scrutinizing viewings I’m aware of the deficiencies of the newer movies; but did I notice Episode I’s faults as an 8-year-old in the theater? I can’t swear to that. And no matter how much I or any other “Star Wars” fan might protest George Lucas’ mistakes, none of us can deny the impact his characters, story, and universe has had on our lives. And for that, George Lucas, I say to you: May the Force be with you, always.

DAN KUBACKI