Occupy Wall Street occupies this space

It may not have the same effect of the 1970 protests on Kent State University’s campus but at least it’s something.

The Occupy Wall Street movement has, as of Tuesday, entered its second month and with little signs of slowing down, proves that our generation does, in fact, care about something more than the Kardashians and Angry Birds.

Although it’s yet to be determined what long-term, or even short-term, effects the marches will have, Occupy Wall Street has united a multitude of people with a plethora of goals under one banner.

While some fight for better worker wages, others picket for student-friendly school loans, but all agree that it starts with Wall Street and a reformation of our economic system.

Historically, policy only changes if a large enough population segment makes its dissent known.

The battles for women’s voting rights, equality among blacks and whites as well as Ghandi’s protets for civil rights in India are all perfect examples.

And our generation has finally taken notice.

Born out of angst from a largely unsuccessful Obama-economic overhaul, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are proving that the 2008 presidential campaign was electing a suitable message, not a suitable person – contrary to popular belief.

We, at The Knight, throw our support behind those demonstrating in Zuccotti Park, not because of what they’re protesting, but because they’re actually protesting.

Most forms of political activism lead to a deeper understanding of issues which in turn leads to a better educated block of voters.

And that’s something money can’t buy.