Vigilance required on campus

He’s climbin’ in your windows and snatchin’ your people up.

Well, not really.

Gannon’s own version of the infamous bed intruder wasn’t kidnapping anybody and would rather jump out of windows and break bones he never  knew he had.

Combine this with an incident making its round on Twitter early Sunday morning via Erie Alerts of two elderly men with long beards fighting, one possibly with a sword, and the campus has suddenly turned into Middle Earth.

However, It could be worse. We could be living in downtown Rochester, N.Y.

The fortnight’s past events remind everyone that remaining observant at all times is the key to staying safe.

So here are a few tips for keeping yourself safe when wandering the campus at night.

First, avoid walking alone at all costs. I know, this is stuff you’ve heard since the first time your parents let you out of their sight but it’s critical. Traveling with someone, even if it is just one person, makes you much less appealing for anyone wanting to cause problems.

Secondly, keep your eyes open. Keep tabs on the people in front of you, beside you and behind you. If there is someone walking behind you, don’t be afraid to turn around every once in a while. Who cares if you offend them, they should be doing the same thing.

It might make you look paranoid but you’ll be happy when you’re not coming face-to-face with Gandalf on West Sixth Street.

Thirdly, monitor your electronics. Keep your iPod volume lower than usual and make sure your cell phone is close by.

It’s easy to get wrapped up in the latest Adele song you downloaded but the less you can hear means the less aware you are.

Lastly, don’t let people who look like your father into university buildings.

Be careful and take these tips to heart because, trust us, it really sucks writing obituaries.