Competitive dance seeks victory at Daytona

The+Gannon+University+competitive+cheer+and+dance+team+is+getting+ready+to+compete+in+the+NCA+%26+NDA+College+Nationals+in+Daytona+Beach%2C+Fla.+

Gannon Athletics Department

The Gannon University competitive cheer and dance team is getting ready to compete in the NCA & NDA College Nationals in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Gannon University’s competitive cheer and dance team is once again heading to Daytona Beach, Fla., this weekend in its pursuit of claiming NCA & NDA College Nationals.

The team will head into the national championship on the heels of a successful season that saw multiple first-place finishes including coming in first place at the Canam Grand Nationals, held March 18 in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

At the annual Road to Daytona Showcase held prior to the trip south, the Knights showed some of what will be on display under the brightest lights.

For dance, the Knights competed uncontested and scored an 87.1 in team performance and also accumulated a 64.25 in the coed performance.

Over the course of the spring season, the Knights have placed first in five different competitions in both categories.

The trip to Daytona will feature nine graduating seniors, who will be key to the success of the team.

They are Brady Bizon, Josh Evans, Nadya Makay, Garett Matley, Karsyn Plis, Hannah Shelby, Kailey Spade, Sydney Williams and Hannah Zarzecki.

Those seniors will be recognized prior to the Saturday competition portion of the four-day event.

Bizon, a senior physical therapy major, said that after four years as the Gannon mascot, he is incredibly blessed and excited for what the trip will bring.

“I have seen the team work super hard this year and push themselves to bring their A game to Daytona,” Bizon said.

“I’m excited to see how we stack up against other teams and I expect a top finish.”

Maura Sullivan, a junior middle level education major, said that everyone is prepared and excited for the trip and above all else looking forward to the experience.

“The freshmen have never experienced anything like this,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan also said that the amount of work and time put into the preparation has allowed her to appreciate the enormity of it.

“This year was by far the hardest one,” Sullivan said.

The moment of running onstage will be the most memorable part, Sullivan said.

“When you take a second to slow things down, you can really see everyone in front of you and you can’t compare it to anything else,” Sullivan said. “You can’t take pictures to remember it.”

The championship round will start Thursday and end Sunday.

MICHAEL GUIDO