Progress report for Gannon sports: March 24 – April 6

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Baseball (14-7): After a postponement of the doubleheader Friday, the Knights came back to the field with a sweep of Mercyhurst on Saturday before a split doubleheader Sunday.

A doubleheader against California (Pa.) resulted in a split Monday, while a doubleheader against Mansfield (Pa.) also resulted in a split Tuesday.

Pitcher Eric Sapp was the star of the weekend, throwing a masterful two-hit performance, which resulted in a complete game shutout against Mercyhurst Saturday.

The Knights will now prepare for a four-game series against PSAC-rival Slippery Rock, with the first two Friday at McConnell Family Stadium and the remaining two Saturday at Slippery Rock.

Softball (10-8): The Knights celebrated a weekend sweep of Slippery Rock and an improvement on their overall record.

Kennedy DeMatteis earned a second shutout on the year, striking out 12 batters, which served as a career-high.

In addition, DeMatteis survived several bases-loaded situations, pitching her way out of jams in the first, fourth, fifth and seventh innings.

With a single to right field delivered by sophomore outfielder Lindsay Schmidt that drove in graduate utility player Kristina DeMatteis, the Knights escaped with a 1-0 win.

Game two would produce more offense for both teams; however, the Knights were more productive, putting up five runs, which secured victory.

Freshman first baseman Abbey Girman hit her first home run of her collegiate career to give the Knights a 3-1 lead in the top of the second.

Another strong pitching performance, this time by Rebecca Tatone, was the final nail in the coffin that allowed the Knights to get out with a 5-3 win.

Tatone allowed just six hits, one earned run and three strikeouts over five innings.

With the winning performance, Tatone improves to 3-2 on the season.

With their Wednesday doubleheader against Ursuline canceled, the Knights will return to the field when they visit California (Pa.) for a doubleheader Friday.

Athlete awards & recognitions:

Macy Hepditch of the women’s lacrosse team and Eric Sapp of the baseball team were each named Gannon Student-Athlete of the Week.

Hepditch scored a team-high seven goals in the team’s victory over Slippery Rock, including the game-winner with 12 seconds remaining to break the tie.

Sapp was the force behind the shutout win over Mercyhurst, pitching a two-hit masterpiece that dominated the weekend.

MICHAEL GUIDO