Progress Report: Jan. 18-Feb. 2

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Women’s basketball (15-3): The 25th-ranked Knights have started the 2021-2022 season strong, amassing five wins in their last six games.

The Knights’ 74-62 victory over Slippery Rock Monday was fueled by the strong play of Samantha Pirosko, Emma Wright, Tori Obenrader and Sydney Mitchell, who each accumulated double-digit socring efforts.

With the win, the Knights improved to 10-3 in PSAC play and are undefeated at the Hammermill Center this season.

After Wednesday’s 5:30 p.m. home game against Edinboro, the Knights will face Seton Hill at home at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Men’s basketball (9-7): The Knights have struggled as of late, losing back-to-back games and have lost four out of their last five games.

Among the bright spots has been redshirt freshman guard Ike Herster, who in his last three games is averaging 19.3 points per game.

Redshirt junior guard Braden Olsen is also having a strong stretch, putting up double digits totaling 12 points.

Olsen also in a loss to Indiana (Pa.) was 3-for-5 from the floor and 6 of 7 from the line.

Looking to get back on track, the Knights will also face Seton Hill after Wednesday’s 7:30 p.m. home game against Edinboro.

The game against Seton Hill is at the Hammermill Center at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Men’s swimming & diving (4-3): The  Knights are looking to rebound after coming off back-to-back losses and a canceled meet.

In their last meet against Cleveland State University, the Knights had eight top-five finishers, including redshirt freshman Stephen McCallum, who placed second in the 100 freestyle (46.70) and Joe Campbell and his third-place finish in the 1-meter diving event.

The swimming & diving team will lookto get back to winning when they travel to the Clarion Diving Invitational at 6 p.m. Friday.

Acrobatics & tumbling (0-0): The Knights will begin the season ranked sixth in the NCATA Preseason Coaches’ poll looking to win with a veteran roster consisting of five seniors and 14 juniors.

The Knights will kick off their season at the NCATA tri-meet hosted by Quinnipiac University against the Bobcats at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Athlete awards & recognitions: Annabelle Helm and Freddie Nixon were recognized with the Gannon Student-Athletes of the Week award.

Helm and Nixon, members of the women’s and men’s wrestling teams, each turned in strong performances.

MICHAEL GUIDO