Join celebrations of Catholic colleges

Thursday’s community Mass marks the end of Catholic Schools Week and will be held at 11 a.m. at Mary Seat of Wisdom Chapel.
The Chaplain’s Office calls this celebration, “A prayerful recommitment to the defining traits of Gannon’s Catholic Identity.”
Catholic Colleges Week is a perfect time to reflect on what being a Catholic university means.
Everyone knows at Gannon the mantra is to “Believe in the Possibilities” while gazing into the sun-soaked horizon, but Gannon’s identity expands more on what this phrase means.
It is the goal of a Catholic university to educate more than the mind of students. Gannon’s Catholic identity is described as combining, “academic and professional development with formation in moral and religious principles.”
Students will not only leave with the skills to believe that they will succeed in their major, but a deeper knowledge of the values taught by Gannon. Gannon attempts to educate the whole person so that when they graduate they have more to put faith in than sometimes unsuccessful careers.
Gannon’s Catholic identity also provides an opportunity to go on alternative break service trips.
These are a great hands-on way to put Catholic values to use. Many students who go on these trips make close friends and have some of the most important experiences of their life.
Most of us don’t spend a lot of time thinking about the difference a Catholic University makes.
But years from now when we are not so busy thinking about how much more time we have to spend here, we will probably look back at our experience more positively.
These reflections will grow out of the spirit of community we felt at a Catholic university, a place where all are called to become the people God has called them to be in this world.