Progress report for Gannon sports: Nov. 11 – Dec. 1

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Football (5-6): The Knights finished the 2021 season with a 13-10 win against East Stroudsburg Nov. 13.

The was won on the heels of running back Melvin Banks, who secured his fifth 100-yard game of the season, rushing for a total of 176 yards on 34 carries.

Quatrerback Kory Curtis had yet another solid start, completing 11-of-24 passes and throwing for 190 yards with a touchdown that solidified the win in the fourth quarter.

The Knights enter the offseason having finished with their best record since 2017, when they also finished 5-6.

Men’s basketball (3-1): The Knights have jumped out to a strong start, rebounding with three straight wins after opening the season with an 80-76 loss to Ashland.

So far, the offense is led by sophomore Demetrius Mims, who leads the team in points with 68, averaging 17 points per game.

Freshman Ali Ragab leads the defense with five blocked shots and both sophomore Amir-Lance Paul and freshman Alfonso Pickens Jr. lead the team with seven steals a piece.

The Knights will look to continue their winning ways with a road matchup against PSAC rival Shepherd at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Women’s basketball (4-0): The  Knights are off to an undefeated start, having outscored their opponents 283-243 this season.

Sophomore Samantha Pirosko has dominated the offense thus far, totaling 87 points, while also leading the team in field goals with 30, free throws with 24 and being third in 3-point field goals with three.

Senior Delaney Dogan has anchored the defense with three blocks while Pirosko has tallied 13 steals in only four games.

The Knight women will seek to continue their undefeated start with a road matchup against Shepherd at 5 p.m. Friday.

Men’s water polo (14-10): The men’s water polo team was swept in the Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference Championship the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Despite the sweep, the team had its best season in two years.

Athlete awards & recognitions: Sophomores Samantha Pirosko of the women’s basketball team and Demetrius Mims of the men’s basketball team were named Gannon’s student-athletes of the week for their performances over the Thanksgiving weekend.

The accomplishments of Pirosko and Mims were instrumental in the strong starts for both teams and their continued winning ways.

MICHAEL GUIDO