The importance of discussing men’s mental health

How to overcome stigma and bring awareness to the issues of men

Chloe Palmiere, News Editor

Men’s mental health is something that is not talked about enough. This is something that on average, one in every eight men deals with.

They could be dealing with a variety of things like anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. But because this is something that is not talked about as much as it should, we rarely hear about it.

Stigma contributes greatly to the lack of discussion about men’s mental health issues. Sayings like, “men can’t cry,” “don’t act like a little girl,” “grow up” and others are the reason that many men are afraid or embarrassed to bring up what they are going through.

The bottom line is that no one should feel like they are silenced, especially when it comes to mental health issues.

When someone is suffering, they should want to be able to express it and tell people what they are going through, but when there is a “silent rule” and a social norm about mental health, that puts barriers up and stops people from getting the help they need.

While a lot of people go through issues regarding their mental health, no one really realizes how many people suffer from it until it is too late.

That can lead to the person feeling so alone that they don’t want to involve anyone in what they are dealing with. This needs to change.

Many people have dealt with the loss of a loved one because of this stigma, and that is not OK.

Men are people too, and they deserve to be able to express how they are feeling without feeling shame and or guilt.

That being the case, we as a society need to fix this issue and change the social norm.

Check up on your friends, make sure that they are doing OK and don’t let them get past with the “Yeah, I’m fine.”

Ask how they are really doing and let them feel as if they can be open with you.

You might be the one reason someone feels safe and is able to be open with you and express how they are truly feeling.

Here on campus, we do have the health and counseling center.

If that is not for you, or you feel like you want more help, here are a few different ways to get immediate support via phone, where you can call and or text someone.

Suicide hotline number: 800-273-8255

NAMI Resource Guide for Those Experiencing a Mental Health Emergency: 800-950-6264;

Crisis text line: text HOME to 741741

While this message might not be the reason someone shares what they are going through, I just want you to know that you are not alone and so many people care for you and love you and you will get through this.

CHLOE PALMIERE