Progress report for Gannon sports: Oct. 6 – Oct. 26

Michael Guido, Managing & Sports Editor

Football (4-4): The Knights continued their winning ways with a solid 21-18 victory over Edinboro.

The Knights’ rushing game was the saving grace, as running back Melvin Blanks continued a career-best season, averaging 8.2 yards per carry with 240 total yards rushing and two touchdowns.

The offense also got a boost from the play of quarterback Kory Curtis, who completed 8-of-17 passes for 116 yards and one touchdown.

Meanwhile on the defnesive side, linebacker Trey Baker registered eight tackles with one sack, helping to stop the Fighting Scots offense.

Sitting at .500 with three games remaining in the regular season, the Knights will invite 15th-ranked Slippery Rock to campus at noon Saturday.

Women’s volleyball (21-4): The Knights rebounded from a sweep against Mercyhurst to run off six straight wins and build a strong position with six games remaining in the regular season.

Freshman Emma Hall continues to surprise many with a stellar campaign, leading the team in digs with 300, coming in second with 27 service aces and coming in third with 44 assists.

The Knights will continue their quest to the PSAC championship with a trip to Clarion to face the Golden Eagles 6 p.m. Friday.

Men’s soccer (12-1-1): The men’s soccer team has continued a dominating season, winning their last two games and five out of their last six.

The Knights are now ranked 16th in the nation, moving up two spots in this week’s United Soccer Coaches Division II men’s soccer poll.

With four games remaining in the regular season, the Knights will host Seton Hill at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Women’s soccer (9-2-2): The Knights have won five consecutive dating back to mid-October and continue to climb in the standings.

With three matches remaining in the regular season, the Knights will host Clarion at noon Saturday.

Athlete awards & recognitions: Seniors Robert Bolmanski of the men’s water polo team and Ashley Beyers of the volleyball team were named Gannon’s student-athletes of the week.

This a weekly honor that highlights talented and achieving athletes.

In addition, Beyers was named this week’s PSAC Volleyball Offesnive Player of the Week; this follows her performance last week from the setter position.

Bolmanski was tournamrent MVP as the Knights won their fourth consecutive CWPA Division II championship.

MICHAEL GUIDO