Eerie Horror Fest returns to Erie for a fourth year

Celebrity guests from horror and thriller genres visit Erie for a fright-filled festival next week

Ali Smith, Arts & Leisure Editor

UPDATED Oct. 21 1:06 p.m.

Eerie Horror Fest is an annual four-day celebration of the culture and appreciation for artists of the horror genre here in Erie.

This year, the long-weekend event from Oct. 27, to Oct. 30 has a jam-packed schedule for each day of the festival, which brings some spooky excitement to the Erie community right before the week of Halloween.

Eerie Horror Fest 2021 is put on by the Film Society of Northwestern Pennsylvania, which Erika Berlin, adjunct professor in the School of Communication & the Arts is part of.

Berlin is the executive director for the nonprofit. She also added that she has been a part of the society for 10 years, first on the board of directors and has now been Executive Director for two years.

“The Eerie Horror Fest has been going on in Erie since 2004,” Berlin said, “and I have been attending since then.

“This is the first year that the Film Society is running the Eerie Horror Fest; prior to this year it had been run by a separate entity. It had been dormant since 2016 and 2021 is its big return.”

There will be short and long films presented, celebrity guests with in-person questions, as well as autographed items and photo opportunities.

Guests for the 2021 festival include Michael Biehn, from movies “Aliens,” “Terminator” and “Tombstone,” and Marc Blucas, from the TV show “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and film “Unearth.”

Other guest stars include Andrea Londo from the Netflix series “Narcos” and “The Free Fall,” as well as David Naughton from “An American Werewolf in London.”

The schedule for Eerie Horror Fest is as follows:

Wednesday, Oct. 27:

4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Meet-and-greet, autographs and selfies with Michael Biehn — first session

6 p.m. — “Aliens: Special Edition Cut” followed by Q&A with Michael Biehn

10 p.m. to 11 p.m. – Meet-and-greet, autographs and selfies with Michael Biehn — second session

Thursday, Oct. 28:

4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Meet-and-greet, autographs and selfies with Michael Biehn – third session

6 p.m. — “Flower” — short film introduced by Erie-based filmmakers Tim and Mary Larson

6 p.m.  — “Antebellum” (2020)

9 p.m. — “Ganja & Hess” (1973)

Thursday’s events will be hosted by sociologist and self-proclaimed nerd Rhonda Matthews, Ph.D., a political scientist with degrees from Alcorn State University, Mississippi State University and the University of Oklahoma who also has an interest in diversity education. The majority of her professional experience has been teaching in various college classrooms.

Friday, Oct. 29:

Hosted by Reverend Greg.

4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Meet-and-greet, autographs and selfies with David Naughton – first session

6 p.m. — “An American Werewolf in London” (1981) followed by Q&A with David Naughton

8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – Meet-and-greet, autographs and selfies with David Naughton – second session

9:30 p.m. — “Funeral” — short film introduced by Erie-based filmmaker Corinne Justine

9:30 p.m. — “Possession” (1981)

12 a.m. – “Ordnung” — short film introduced by Erie-based filmmaker Megan Ciafre

12 a.m. — “Titane” (2020)

Saturday, Oct. 30:

12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. — “How to Pitch” industry panel (at VNET building 121 W. 10th St.) Admission: Donations

1 p.m. to 3 p.m. — Combined meet-and-greet with the “Unearth” cast and Adam Stillwell and Andrea Londo from “The Free Fall” — first session

3 p.m. — “Blinded” — short film introduced by Erie-based filmmakers Jim Morton & Jesse Olszewski

3 p.m. — “The Free Fall” (2021) — Pennsylvania premiere followed by Q&A with Adam Stillwell and Andrea Londo

6 p.m.  – “Stuffed” — short film introduced by Erie-based filmmaker Brad Pattullo

6 p.m.  — “Unearth” (2020) followed by Q&A with Marc Blucas and the “Unearth” cast

8:30 p.m. — Combined meet-and-greet with the “Unearth” cast and Adam Stillwell and Andrea Londo from “The Free Fall” – second session

10 p.m. — “Coming Home in the Dark” (2020)

12 p.m. — “See For Me” (2022) — Pennsylvania premiere

“The Eerie Horror Fest is an arts event unlike any other in Erie! Movies bring people together, and I can’t wait to see attendees from all over the region from different backgrounds connecting over their shared love for “Aliens”” said Berlin.

Ticket prices range from $25 to $150 depending on the type of pass and package, and Gannon students can get tickets for a reduced rate by using the code GANNON at checkout for $5 off a day pass.

An all-access pass includes admission to all four days of films. It also includes admission to the celebrity guest meet-and-greets and free signatures and photo opportunities with the celebrities.

All-access passes cost $125 each, and $150 for the pass and a poster and T-shirt.

Day passes cost $25 each and include admission to films and celebrity meet-and-greets on the days paid for.

Tickets can be purchased at eventbrite.com.

ALI SMITH