Career Fair Brings Employment Opportunities

Anna Malesiewski, Features Editor

The Gannon University Career Fair, sponsored by Gannon’s Office of Career Exploration and Development and the Student Government Association, offered students and employers an opportunity to connect in the Hammermill Center at Gannon University on Tuesday.

Forty-five employer partners attended the Career Fair and were available for discussion with students throughout the day. Erin Hart, director of the Office of Career Exploration and Development, said that employer partners shared information about part-time work, internships and full-time job opportunities.

“It is an opportunity for students to connect with employers in the local community, as well as both regionally and nationally and to learn about different opportunities to network and learn,” Hart said. “Whether you are a student seeking an opportunity or a student just seeking to explore and learn about different companies, it’s a great place to come.”

Matthew Schlessman, a senior chemistry pre-dental major and president of the Student Government Association, said that the Career Fair is an opportunity for students to get an internship or even land their dream job.

“The Career Fair is the bridge between the gap of students and employers who are looking to further their investments to the next level,” Schlessman said. “Gannon has often provided opportunities for students but this, in my opinion, is probably one of the most important opportunities to take advantage of.”

Katie Sherwin, a junior physical therapy major, said that aside from being able to connect with employers, she was also able to obtain valuable information about graduate school.

“Because I am in the 3 + 3 physical therapy program, my next step isn’t necessarily a career — it’s grad school,” Sherwin said. “I was able to ask questions about what grad school will be like, which is helpful to me because I start next year.”

Schlessman also said that the Student Government Association seeks to provide students with opportunities like the Career Fair for development and engagement. Beyond just tabling at the Career Fair, the Student Government Association provided a photographer to take professional headshots for students for their LinkedIn profiles or resumes, and sponsored lunch for students and employers.

“The student government is always seeking to assist students by bettering their experience and providing all the tools to them so they are successful,” Schlessman said.

Hart also said that the Office of Career Exploration and Development, which is in the Student Success Center, helped students prepare for this event by looking over cover letters, resumes and fine-tuning interview skills.

“Our office can really work with students to help get them ready for events like this and beyond,” Hart said.

ANNA MALESIEWSKI