Stocker ties softball home run record

gannonsports.com

Kaity Stocker is tied for the Gannon softball home run record with 28.

Alex Pepke, Sports Editor

There may be a new all-time leader in home runs for the Gannon softball program soon. Kaity Stocker, a senior on Gannon’s team, is currently tied for the all-time lead.

With 28 career home runs at Gannon, she is tied for first place with Joanna Fergus, who played from 2003-2006.

Stocker tied the record Wednesday, hitting three long balls in Gannon’s doubleheader against Edinboro.

Although home runs are what she may be known for, her production at the plate doesn’t stop there. She has a .338 batting average, a .448 on-base percentage and a .691 slugging percentage in her career.

For those who aren’t familiar with softball stats, those are really good numbers.

That on-base percentage is the second best all-time for Gannon. The slugging percentage would be first. The batting average would be 12th.

She’s already one of the best hitters to ever come through Gannon’s program, and she still has 26 games remaining on the schedule for softball this spring.

What is more impressive about her home run total is that she has been able to accomplish it in only 278 career at-bats. Fergus, with whom Stocker is tied in home runs, hit her 28 home runs in 602 at-bats.

Stocker didn’t even play in any of the 17 games in the 2020 season due to a torn ACL. The rehab process has made this milestone even more fulfilling for her.

“It is surreal to be tied for the record after three years,” said Stocker. “I’m glad that I’ve been able to accomplish tying the record, especially after tearing my ACL last year. There’s no greater feeling than being able to show the world that you did it, and that you’re back better than ever.”

Not even halfway through this season, the former PSAC West Freshman of the Year still has more in store for opposing pitchers in her last season as a Knight.

Stocker said she now lives by the saying, “A minor setback for a major comeback.”

An ACL tear is no minor setback, but breaking the school’s all-time home run record would definitely be a major comeback.

Her next chance at the record will be Friday against Slippery Rock.

ALEX PEPKE