Easter break as a time for renewal and growth

Michael Guido, News Editor

The 2021 spring semester has been a trying and strenuous one for many, perhaps even the most challenging any of us have faced.
Confronted with no breaks, increased pressure to succeed and maintain the status quo, the sudden and tragic passing of a classmate and the ongoing presence of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic, it is an understatement to say that the Gannon community is physically, mentally and emotionally fried.
For weeks, students have been calling for a break of some kind, whether it be a wellness day, an extended Easter break, or even a week of no classes.
After much uncertainty and fear that no reprieve would arrive, Gannon has come to a decision.
The university announced that Good Friday has been extended to a full day off, while the university will also close Monday, giving the community a much-needed and deserved four-day break.
With the break set to coincide with the Easter holiday, it serves as a practical but also symbolic opportunity for all of us to regroup and emerge stronger for the final sprint to the finish line.
Easter, in the Christian tradition, is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who according to Christian teachings, rose on the third day after being crucified. In non-pandemic years, churches throughout the world mark this occasion of new life with loud choirs and bands, upbeat songs and feasts fit for whole families. Not only does all of this serve to acknowledge the importance of the holiday, but it also reminds us that the unique setting of the holiday, springtime, gives us an avenue by which to spiritually and mentally grow and refocus.
Whether one recognizes the Easter holiday from a religious standpoint isn’t important; rather, the symbol of what it represents is key to ensuring people of all backgrounds and struggles can find relief in this time of year.
Use this long weekend as a time for spiritual and mental renewal; enjoy the beauty and revival of life spring offers, celebrate the spirit of the holiday with your family and friends and take a break from the books — I promise the books will be there when you return to normal on Tuesday.
But above all, don’t fail to utilize this opportunity.
Many students are in difficult majors that require constant attention and work; however, to have a true break, it’s important to put the books down, the laptop away and the planner in the backpack so as to truly enjoy the break itself. While it may be scary to do, a full jump into the break, albeit a temporary one, is worth it.
Some may still be frustrated that there is not a longer break or that this newfound break seems to have hastily come along. Yet whatever the reason, use these four days to recharge and mentally, emotionally and physically prepare for the final sprint to the finish line.
A break can go a long way, and lord knows we certainly needed it.

MICHAEL GUIDO