The things we hope to keep post-pandemic

Anna Malesiewski, Assistant Editor

We are coming up on the one-year anniversary of the COVID-19 pandemic.
So much has changed in one year. So many ways of living are no longer commonplace with the presence of a pandemic. So many mindsets have shifted. This begs the question: what will a world post COVID-19 look like?
We often say that we would like to go back to normal. That we would like our lives back as they were before the pandemic.
But there are some things I hope never return back to the way they once were.
I hope we continue holding on to the notion that rest is imperative. In the world before COVID-19, I was constantly on the go, along with almost everyone I know. The world was so fast-paced. There were so many expectations for productivity and work.
I feel that as a society, we have learned how to rest. We have made progress in listening to our bodies and minds, and knowing when we need to slow down. I feel that as a culture, we have slowed down.
I also hope we keep recognizing the good that our bodies do for us. While the pandemic has not, and could not be expected to, completely eradicate body image issues, I have noticed more of a societal awareness that our bodies do a lot for us. They keep us alive during a worldwide pandemic, and at the end of the day, despite bodily changes, that is reassuring. I hope we still honor our bodies long after COVID-19 is gone.
I hope we never lose our sense of community. While in-person interactions have been limited or taken away completely, I would argue that our communities have been strengthened in some ways. Because we oftentimes cannot interact in person, or have gone through lockdowns and quarantine, we appreciate our communities more and we are more aware of the power that lies in togetherness.
I hope we never stop reaching out to one another. Now more than ever, it has become increasingly important to check on our neighbors. I hope we continue to be shoulders to cry on, ears to listen and comfort for those who are struggling.
I hope we continue to make efforts to bring community to those who are isolated. At Gannon, I have seen students, staff and the institution as a whole take steps to let those who are isolated or quarantined know they are not truly alone. I hope we extend this to those who feel emotionally isolated or ostracized as well.
Above all, I hope we continue to take care of one another. I hope we will always love our neighbors as ourselves.
I hope we never lose the sense that we are not alone.

ANNA MALESIEWSKI