Finding God on Gannon’s Campus: He Leads Me

Brianna McCloskey

“The sheep didn’t need to know where the green pastures or still waters were; all he needed to know was where the shepherd was.”

— David Guzik

Throughout this fall semester, finding God on campus has been more important than ever.
I personally have felt stressed and anxious about the unknown. Although I have felt these emotions, I always find time to sit with God and ask him to remind me of the good and bring me peace. In those times I remember that he leads me in my life. Psalm 23:3 says, “He renews my life; he leads me along the right paths for his name’s sake.” This verse specifically reminds me that the Lord is constantly working even during these unknown times.
One of my favorite quotes by David Guzik is, “The sheep didn’t need to know where the green pastures or still waters were; all he needed to know was where the shepherd was.” It is so comforting to know that we do not need to know everything about our life. There is a beauty in the unknown that only God can show us if we just be still and listen. We can be confident that our good shepherd will lead us in the paths that he has already laid out for us.
Sometimes it is hard to trust what the Lord has planned for us in our own lives and even in the world. Psalm 23:4 reads, “Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me; your rod and staff – they comfort me.”
There is no doubt that there are sorrows, worries and fears in this life. Even the strongest believer will face seasons of difficulty but even still we have nothing to fear because our God is with us.
I personally know that there was a point in time this semester when I was in a season of difficulty. I was feeling the stress and pressure of classes along with the anxious feelings toward COVID-19. I was tired, worn out and just exhausted mentally.
It was during this time that I felt the overwhelming love and grace of God through my friends and roommates on campus. They remind me every day that God is on our Gannon campus.
Even with the stress of this semester we have all still been able to find positivity in the little things. I did not know what God had planned for me during that season, but he reminded me of all the good I have right in front of me.
I remember having one of the worst days during the semester. I had spilled my coffee in the morning, which was making me run late for one of my earlier classes. At the end of that day I remember walking into my apartment to see my roommates all sitting in the living room waiting for me to get home. We were all so excited to just slow down and spend some time together.
I believe that God knew my path for that day. He had a plan for me even though I was not having the best day.
I believe that even though I spilled my coffee and was late to class he knew that at the end of the that it would not matter.
I believe God put my roommates in my life for a reason. Even though I might not have known it at the time, he had a plan for me that day. He knew that even though my day was bad, my roommates, whom I believe he brought into my life, would make it better just by having a simple conversation with me when the day was over. He knew my day start to finish before I even woke up that morning.
It is in these unknown times that God shows up in the smallest moments that make the biggest impact on our lives. He leads me on the right path each day, even if that means I spill my coffee in the morning.

BRIANNA McCLOSKEY