Social distancing is not for all

With all the craziness of the coronavirus going on, the government has recommended that U.S. citizens consider social distancing.
According to dictionary.com, social distance is “the perceived or desired degree of remoteness between a member of one social group and the members of another, as evidenced in the level of intimacy tolerated between them.”
To translate for those who still don’t understand fully, everyone is expected to keep as much distance from others as they can to avoid the sickness.
For the introverts who just read this, I imagine you are doing cartwheels and cheering on this idea.
However, I imagine all the extroverts just experienced a shiver down their back.
Personally, I identify as an introverted extrovert, or an ambivert.
If you are unaware of what that means, basically I am extremely outspoken in a group I am comfortable around, but when introduced to a new crowd I clam up.
There is nothing I enjoy more than being around my friends and feeding off their positive energy.
However, there are some days I would rather curl up into a blanket burrito and be alone.
I’m thankful to have friends who understand and let me be the me I decide to be that day; whether I want to interact or be a hermit.
With face-to-face classes canceled and a talk of possible two-week quarantine, I’m really unsure how I am going to make it through the rest of the semester.
I have seen many memes throughout the past few days about the online classes, but honestly I am nervous for how this will turn out for not only myself, but my fellow students.
Some of us barely have it in us to leave our homes to go to class; it will be interesting to see who “shows up to class” these next few weeks.
As for the quarantine, it will definitely be a make it or break it for me depending on my mood every day.
During my more social days, it is going to drive me nuts.
Although I will probably have my roommates and boyfriend with me, I may quickly get on their nerves or vice versa.
For my more introverted days, that is where I am more scared.
If I am like that for days at a time, my friends and family get annoyed and often try to remove me from my current state,
If I’m being honest this usually ends up in a fight or me being very passive aggressive all day.
When I want to be alone, I make it very known until I am back in my safe place.
I am truly terrified to see what occurs these next few days, or even next few weeks.
Trying to stock up on essentials was hard enough; I can’t even wrap my head around not being able to exit my house.
For those feeling the exact way as I do, good luck and hopefully we don’t lose our minds.

OLIVIA HAHNER