Gannon softball has begun

Well, it might be 40 degrees outside, but baseball and softball have already begun.
Gannon’s softball team, coached by Michelle Wiley, opened its season last weekend. Going up against some tough competition at the Cottrell Foundation Loyal Blue Classic in Dahlonega, Ga., the Knights went 1-4, with a 3-1 win over Southern Wesleyan.
Gannon took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning after Southern Wesleyan had tied it at 1-1 in the top of the inning. Rachel Tanilli tripled and scored the go-ahead run on a fielder’s choice, and Taylor Wilp singled home the insurance run.
Tanilli led the attack with two hits. The rest of the weekend was not what Gannon wanted but at least the Knights get some time to relax and forget this disappointing weekend as they get ready for their next game, which is set for March 1 against Georgian Court in Winter Haven, Fla.
And for Gannon’s aquatic sports we have the women’s water polo team. They are coached by Shane Unger, and he’s assisted by Isabelle Vieira. The two understand what it takes to build a winning team, especially Vieira, who was previously a Gannon Knight herself.
The Knights started their season a few weeks ago, and they went 2-2 in the Bucknell Invitational. Last weekend was a rough one, as the Knights went 0-4 at the Mercyhurst Invitational, but their last two losses came by a combined three goals – 14-12 to Virginia Military and 11-10 to La Salle. Any loss is rough but losing by one is always the worst. The Knights will get a chance to turn things around this weekend as they participate in the Washington & Jefferson Invitational. So, readers, make sure tell your classmates or students good luck this weekend.
Anyways folks have a good week and as always,
GO KNIGHTS!

TOM SWICK