Campus art studio slated to open by end of the semester

Lori Steadman wears many hats. Not only is she the director of Gannon University’s Schuster Gallery and an adjunct lecturer, she is also tasked with overseeing university arts, which is just as broad-reaching as it sounds.
“My primary goal is to help students feel connected to the arts, both by appreciating iconic pieces as well as expressing themselves through their own works,” Steadman said.
The student art studio that is moving to the corner of Peach and Seventh streets will certainly help with the latter.
The studio was previously located in the basement of the Student Services Building. The entire building, along with the Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel, closed over the summer due to a gas leak.
“[The basement] was hard to use because it was a shared space,” Steadman said of the old location. “It was kind of tucked away and out of sight. But this new spot will truly be ours – we’ll finally have our own door!”
The new spot is a rectangular room adjacent to the Walker Apartments. It was previously the headquarters of The Gannon Knight, but has been vacant for the last five years.
Steadman has worked closely with maintenance to renovate the space over the past few months.
The ceiling tiles and overhead lights were completely replaced, and the maroon walls were covered with a fresh coat of white paint. The red shag carpeting was also ripped up to reveal patterned linoleum flooring.
Four pottery wheels and a kiln, along with tables and seating, will be moved into the space next.
The studio will primarily be used to host structured events open to the entire student body. Events will either be free or have a minimal seating fee.
Glass blowing, screen printing and tie dye have all been done in the past, but new ideas may emerge depending on student interest.
Steadman is hoping to hold the first event in the new space before the end of the semester.
“Down the line, we may also consider having open studio hours where students can just come in and use the space to work on individual projects,” Steadman added.
Savannah Scarff, a sophomore nursing major and Schuster Scholar, is one of the students helping to bring the new studio to fruition.
“I’m so excited to be able to relieve my stress in this studio,” said Scarff. “I love throwing clay on the wheel; it’s one of my passions.”
Students interested in the direction of the studio are invited to join the Art Club on EngageU or reach out to Steadman directly at [email protected].
The Art Club will be meeting at 1:30 p.m. Friday in the studio to discuss possible upcoming events. All are welcome.

ALEX STAUFF