Cast members eager for opening night of ‘Almost, Maine’

Schuster Theatre’s season will kick off Thursday with the opening night of “Almost, Maine.”
“Almost, Maine” takes place on a frigid winter night in a small town imbued with magic.
The play unfolds in short vignettes, each scene featuring a different couple going through a change in their relationship.
The show was written with the intent for doubling and can be performed by as few as four actors.
Gannon’s production features 11 talented actors, about half of whom are portraying two different characters.
Cast members Petra Shearer, George Meucci and Rebecca Ropelewski are all in that boat and enjoying the challenge.
Shearer, a junior theater performance and English major, will be playing the characters Sandrine and Rhonda.
“I can connect with Rhonda because she has both a tough side and a sweet side,” Shearer said.
Shearer has spent countless hours in Schuster Theatre since coming to Gannon, even including an overnight stay when she participated in the “23:59:59 Show.”
Being involved with the theater has allowed her to flourish.
“I’ve felt confident enough to step out of my comfort zone because I’m surrounded by people who will support me,” Shearer said.
Meucci, a junior theater and communications major, will be sharing the stage with Shearer when he plays Jimmy.
Jimmy and Sandrine are exes who awkwardly run into each other at a local hangout.
“Jimmy is like a puppy, which I really relate to because sometimes I’m like a puppy,” he said with a grin.
Meucci has starred in several shows at the theater and loves spending time with fellow actors, both on and off stage.
“Schuster Theatre is the one building on campus I always feel comfortable going to,” Meucci said.
“It’s like a family. There’s always someone to talk to.”
In addition to playing Jimmy, Meucci will also portray the character Phil in a comical scene involving a disappearing shoe.
Rebecca Ropelewski, a junior advertising, public relations and theater communications major, is playing Marvalyn and Marci.
“I love playing Marvalyn because I’ve been in a similar situation as her,” Ropelewski confided.
Like her fellow actors, Ropelewski relishes her involvement with the theater community.
“The faculty have really helped me grow as both a performer and a person,” Ropelewski said.
Shearer, Meucci and Ropelewski, along with their fellow cast and crew members, are excited to bring this intimate yet universal show to the student body.
“Almost, Maine” will be staged at 8 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and Oct. 3-5 and at 2 p.m. Oct. 6.
Tickets are $5 for faculty, staff and students and can be purchased at the box office or reserved online at gannon.edu/schustertheatre.
Additionally, the Student Government Association is sponsoring tickets on opening night Thursday in honor of Unity Week. Show your Gannon ID and the SGA Unity Week poster to enjoy a free ticket.

ALEX STAUFF