Showing love should not be a one-day-only affair

I don’t like Valentine’s Day.

I said it and I’m not ashamed one bit.

Now I’m sure I sound like the cliché, single girl who only dislikes the holiday because she has no one to share it with, but surprisingly I even disliked it while in a relationship.

Not to get too personal and sappy, but high school boyfriends made me feel unwanted on Valentine’s Day.

However, I disliked the holiday way before they entered my life.

Before I can get too in detail, I should give a bit of background.

As long as I could remember, I have been in love with the idea of love.

Growing up watching nothing but Disney movies really affected my view on love.

These movies gave me high expectations of what it should be.

Now I don’t expect a guy to come with a white horse and a bouquet of red roses after slaying an evil dragon, but I would not be opposed to the idea.

I was mainly infatuated with the way the characters would risk everything for the ones they loved.

In “Beauty and the Beast,” Belle was seen as crazy when she stood up to the townspeople when they called her beloved an ugly beast.

Although he was in fact a beast, he was beautiful in her eyes and she truly loved him for the man he was inside.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t like how overrated Valentine’s Day has become over the years.

From what I have experienced firsthand, some people go all out on this one day and treat the rest of the year as if it is nothing.

I understand Valentine’s Day is marketed as the day of love, but why only limit these feelings to one day?

Why only buy your girlfriend flowers and your boyfriend his favorite candy on Valentine’s Day, when you can surprise them when they’re feeling down any day of the year?

Another reason I disliked Valentine’s Day is the fact that so many people stress out and break their banks.

The absolute worst, in my opinion, is those who expect and only accept nothing but the finest.

As I said earlier, Valentine’s Day is only one day.

I don’t understand why some people think they have to spend a ton on dinner, gifts and anything else they can pull off.

Personally, I am simple and just enjoy someone’s company.

If spending a lot of money works for you, that’s understandable but for me it doesn’t fly.

I’m not sure if I’ll always feel this way about Valentine’s Day, but for now nothing can change my mind.

This Valentine’s Day, I will be practicing self-love, relaxing after classes and taking time for myself, because that is something we all need.

OLIVIA HAHNER