“Into the Spider-Verse” swings into critical acclaim

It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of everything Spider-Man. I’ve written about my nostalgic love for the Sam Raimi films before, and I have thought the addition of Spider-Man to the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been executed fantastically.
With all this in mind, my love of Spider-Man has come to a head with “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”
The latest animated venture from the people who brought us “21 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie” has wowed audiences and critics alike since it came out in mid-December of last year, going so far as to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature, and actually win the Golden Globe for Best Animated Motion Picture.
“Into the Spider-Verse” delves deeply into the Spider-Verse story lines from the comics, and while not many people know these stories, the “Into the Spider-Verse” really holds the audience’s hand and introduces the more complex ideas of alternate realities with alternate “Spider-Men” through narration and witty dialogue.
Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), the main character of “Into the Spider-Verse,” acts as the audience’s surrogate, and since the movie follows his origin story, the audience comes to understand the world through his eyes.
This lets the story flow naturally, and the audience doesn’t know anything until it needs to.
While I’m on the subject of the story, “Into the Spider-Verse” is a refreshing break from the interconnected movie universes that are so prevalent now.
There is no connection to “The Avengers,” and you don’t have to watch 19 movies before watching this one to understand the plot fully.
While it helps to have some background knowledge, there is no “required reading” that goes into watching “Into the Spider-Verse,” which I couldn’t be happier about.
While there is a time and a place for “The Avengers,” it is nice to see self-contained stories being told and becoming successful.
“Into the Spider-Verse” has a very unique art style that pulls heavily from the comic book origins of its characters.
Being animated gave the filmmakers a greater amount of control over the style they wanted to give the film, and they took full advantage of the opportunities they were given.
I can certainly say that I have never seen anything like “Into the Spider-Verse” and probably won’t again until the sequel hits theaters.
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” isn’t just an animated movie, it’s a movie that just so happens to be animated.
What I mean by this is that just because “Into the Spider-Verse” is an animated movie, it isn’t made just for children.
It deals with some rather adult themes and action that could just as easily belong in a live action film.
The artistic choice to make “Into the Spider-Verse” animated was one that was done deliberately and I couldn’t imagine the movie any other way.
Aside from the movie itself, the soundtrack of “Into the Spider-Verse” is phenomenal as well. Following in the footsteps of “Black Panther,” “Into the Spider-Verse” soundtrack is a compilation of songs from and inspired by the movie, and I have been listening to it nonstop since I saw the movie.
I’m not normally a fan of hip-hop and rap, but this soundtrack has some excellent songs that have been stuck in my head for weeks.
I am picking this up on Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out. “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is not just a great superhero movie, or a great animated movie, it is in all meanings of the word, a good movie. Period.
With moments of intense action matched with true emotion, “Into the Spider-Verse” has a little bit of something for everyone. Everyone needs to see this movie; it’s just that good.

BENJAMIN HAYLETT