Artist Spotlight Series: Bryce Vine

MATTHEW FASSNACHT
staff writer

Bryce Johnson, better known by his stage name Bryce Vine, has received consistent praise for his music since he ventured into his musical career in 2011.
Born in New York City in 1988, Vine didn’t spend much time there as his father moved him and his mother to Los Angeles early in his life.
In Los Angeles, Vine’s mother got a part on the hit soap opera “Passions” and Vine was then first introduced to his love for entertainment and music.
Although Vine is considered a hip-hop artist, he has stated his music and creative process is heavily influenced by the intelligent lyrics and infectious choruses of Third Eye Blind.
He’s also cited J. Cole as a storyteller to be a heavy influencer to his music.
His father introduced him to ‘90s R&B and he received his first guitar at the age of 13 to learn how to replicate it.
In 2011 Vine auditioned for “The Glee Project” at the suggestion of his mother’s friend. “The Glee Project” was a reality series that serves as an audition for the Fox show, “Glee.”
Vine became one of the 12 finalists, but was the first contestant to leave the show. He later stated he was thankful for the experience and that “that was not the right place for me.”
After that experience, Vine went to the Berklee College of Music, where he ended up meeting his current producer, Nolan Lambroza.
On April 22, 2014, Vine released his debut EP under Lambroza’s label Kiva House Lambroza, titled “Lazy Fair,” which is named after his mom’s boat Laissez-Faire. The EP included his most famous song to date, “Sour Patch Kids.”
After about a year off, Vine released a satire single titled “Thug Song,” which poked fun at today’s rappers that received credible acclaim. In March of 2016, Vine released his second EP, “Night Circus,” which received more critical acclaim than his first.
Vine is said to be working on a third EP titled “Carnival,” which includes the single “Bella,” and has been rumored to be working on his debut album that has yet to be titled, which includes his hit single, “Drew Barrymore.”
Although his discography is small, there are few songs that have flopped. Expect it to fill up with hits soon and get in tune with his music while you can.

My favorite Bryce Vine Songs:
1. “Nowhere Man”
2. “Los Angeles”
3. “Take Me Home”
4. “Bella”
5. “Glamorama”

If you want to keep up with what I’m listening to you can follow me on Twitter @fuzznacht or search “Matt Fassnacht” on Spotify and follow the My Rotation playlist.

MATTHEW FASSNACHT