Editor’s summer music escape

find it funny that we end each semester with, “Have a great summer!” and return back to campus asking, “How was your summer?” when in all reality, we know the truth – summer sucks.

Summer is just a little three-month game of how much money can I make, how much weight can I lose and how much “fun” can I squeeze in before heading back to school.

Between working three jobs, studying every day for a six-hour standardized exam and getting hit with some personal issues that I really wasn’t expecting, I wasn’t left with a whole lot of time or energy for “fun in the sun” this summer break.

My saving grace for this summer was, surprise-surprise, music.

I somehow squeezed nine concerts into my busy work and study schedule. However, my favorite thing about the music world this summer actually wasn’t the concerts. Rather, it was the albums that were released.

When deciding upon my top albums of the summer, I realized that these records aren’t necessarily what I consider to be the all-around best albums of the summer – they’re just the albums I needed and connected with. Below I have listed and explained a few of them.

“Everybody” – Logic

Though this album is on my list of personal favorites, I truly believe this is a record that is for everyone, thus the project title.

Logic doesn’t shy away from rapping about practically every trigger subject from Trump, racism, homophobia, depression, anxiety and more.

The standout track, “1-800-273-8255,” shares the same number and message of the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, giving national attention to something that most artists shy away from.

“Lust for Life” – Lana Del Rey

The saddest, baddest chick in alternative music is back and better than ever.

Lana challenges herself with this release by shifting her perspective. She sings love songs for her fans rather than for loser ex-lovers.

I don’t know another artist who could collaborate on the same record with A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti, The Weeknd, Stevie Nicks and John Lennon’s son Sean Lennon, all while fusing the opposite genres of folk and trap so effortlessly.

“After Laughter” – Paramore

Sometimes works of music just slip into your life at the exact moment you need them most, and “After Laughter” is that record for me.

Paramore has grown and evolved with their fan base. They’ve transitioned out of their loud early 2000s pop-punk era into a poppy alt-indie sound fitting for today.

The boppy beats found in “After Laughter” do a good job of shadowing the somber, yet relatable, lyrics of most of the songs.

Songs like “Hard Times” and “Fake Happy” will have you dancing and crying at the same time, while ballads like “26” and “Tell Me How” will break your heart within the first few chords.

Regardless of your taste in music or how your summer went, I hope you found a favorite summer album or summer song that made you feel happy, sad, mad or all of the above.

Any form of music that makes you feel a little more human and makes your summer suck a little less is something to be celebrated.

OLIVIA BURGER