Myers-Briggs test helps calm fear of future

Stability has always been something that I strive for – I hate the unknown.

Unfortunately for me, this stage of my life is all about the unknown. I don’t know where I’ll be or what I’ll be doing in the next couple of months and it’s actually driving me crazy.

I’m a planner – I always have been. I think I inherited that trait from my mother, because she’s the same way I am.

Some people are happy-go-lucky and go with the flow – and I try to be, I really do – but it’s just not in my nature. I don’t like leaving things to chance.

If I say I want to do something, I’m going to make plans and set a date to do it.

Though I know that life is full of the unknown, I hate the unknowns and wish they would just go away.

I think a lot of these traits can be attributed to my Myers-Briggs personality type. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a personality inventory that – I think – has a lot of truth behind it.

The MBTI lists 16 different personalities that the majority of the population falls into. Of course everybody is different and nobody will fit any personality type to a T, but the descriptions of the personalities can give some really good insight into why you are the way you are – food for thought, if you will.

My personality type, INTP, is called “the logician” for obvious reasons. INTP personalities are very logical and analytical, always looking for the most precise and rational answer to every problem.

Aside from being insensitive, condescending and having reluctance toward authority figures, INTP personalities are honest, straightforward and open-minded.

You can figure out your personality type by taking one of the many online personality tests, but the one that I have found to be most reputable – and accurate – is the one on 16personalities.com.

Obviously the online test isn’t the same inventory you would be given if you were actually evaluated by a specialist, but it’s a good tool to use if you want to question your entire existence and ponder life’s psychological mysteries.

I’ve taken the test a couple of times and I’ve gotten two different answers before, but there are so many factors that can influence the outcome of the test that you have to take your results with a grain of salt.

While I can tout the fact that I’ve supposedly got one of the rarest personality types, there are many other things that may or may not have a greater effect on who you become – like previous experiences, your family situation, relationships you grew up around or even the geographical location you grew up in.

So if you take that information and then look at the fact that I’m having a mental breakdown over not knowing what the future holds, I might seem a tad less crazy.

SAMANTHA GRISWOLD