Giving needs more meaning

Although it isn’t the reason for the season, giving and receiving gifts is an inevitable part of Christmas.

Let’s face it, when you were a kid you weren’t up all night anxiously awaiting a day of religious celebration and quality time spent with family members, you were excited for the presents.

As a child, everything about gifts was simpler.

If you wanted something, all you had to do was write a note to Santa asking for the Polly Pocket Groovy Getaway Jet or the Barbie Dreamhouse and, BOOM, Santa came through Christmas morning with all the glamorous plastic dolls and matching accessories that you asked for.

Giving gifts was also a lot easier because all you had to do was color a picture and write “For Grandma” on it, and it was the best and most thoughtful gift imaginable.

Now that I’m attempting to be somewhat successful at being an adult, giving and receiving gifts is a lot harder than it used to be.

It’s hard to find a present that is meaningful, within the budget and personal for everyone on my long list.

For the people on my list that I am closer with, it’s a lot easier to find considerate and nice gifts, but for the people I don’t really know, it’s kind of a mess.

What are you really supposed to get for an aunt you never see, a roommate who dislikes you or a random person you picked for Secret Santa?

A scarf? A gift card? A candle?

I mean, nothing says “I appreciate you as a human being and I value your friendship,” more than a Bath and Body Works holiday scented candle, am I right ladies?

Or how about a pair of warm fabulous fuzzy socks? Nothing says “you rock” more than a $3 pair of fuzzy socks.

When it comes down to it, I wish there was a way to give meaningful gifts to people who are, in all actuality, not that meaningful to you. Or better yet, I wish there was a way to avoid giving these types of gifts all together.

This sounds mean but in all sincerity, it would be better to give no gift at all than to give some horribly basic item that means nothing.

I’m not trying to come across as a Christmas Grinch or Scrooge when I say these things because I do love the feeling of giving a really great, well thought-out gift to someone you really care about.

I just think it’s silly to waste money on things like Secret Santa when the money could be used for much better things, especially during the holidays.

It would just be better if everyone could spend the $10 intended for a meaningless perfume set on a $10 Hot Wheels set for Toys for Tots, or if they could just put it into the red donation bucket before even entering the store.

I realize insignificant gift giving is not going away anytime soon, as it is a part of the commercial Christmas culture we are submersed in. That being said though, I do think it’s something to at least address.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to receive a gift, let alone a dozen worthless ones. This Christmas consider making a meaningful donation to someone who needs it, and in turn, making the holiday season more meaningful for you.

OLIVIA BURGER

View Comments (1)