Turn away from hate, rage

Turn away from hate, rage

I’m usually not one to get involved in all of the political discussions and such that happen on various social media platforms, most notably Facebook and Twitter. But after seeing so many posts about the results of this year’s presidential election, I feel the need to speak out.

I know that a lot of people are frustrated and upset with the way this year’s presidential election turned out. It can be frustrating when the candidate you voted for loses to someone that you might feel is less qualified for the position.

The Electoral College was put into place by the Founding Fathers, and we cannot simply toss it aside when elections do not turn out how we’d like them to.

But regardless of how you feel about the results of the election, you need to take this fact to heart: Donald Trump is the President-elect of the United States of America. However you may feel about that, he IS your president. At least, he will be come Jan. 20.

No amount of rage-filled Facebook posts or petitions through change.org will alter this fact. Marching through the streets in protest – peaceful or otherwise – will also not yield different results.

Now, more than ever, we need to turn away from hate and rage. We cannot let the results of a presidential election create any more divisions within our beautiful country.

We have experienced too much division within recent months and we need to try our best to move beyond this.We, as citizens, need to band together to spread love and create peace within our borders.

My sister, Kelly, put it better than I ever could in a Facebook post the day after the election.

“At the end of it all, we all want the same thing: To keep America the land of the free and home of the brave for all,” she wrote. “How can we do this? By loving our neighbor. By uniting our country.”

We cannot let hate take hold of our hearts. We cannot preach against intolerance while being intolerant ourselves. We must agree to band together to build a stronger country.

Instead of letting hatred win, make an effort to be kind to your neighbor. Show compassion to everyone you meet. Extend a hand to someone who is in need. Spread love to everyone you encounter.

Change begins with individuals. Small acts can often have a more significant impact than we could ever imagine. Our generation has the power to unify the country or create further divisions. Don’t let that power go to waste. Be a unifying factor, not a divisive one.

And please, just give Trump a chance. He may not have been your choice, but he is our country’s reality. And who knows, he might just surprise you.

I am hopeful that our country will continue to be the greatest country on earth, no matter who is president. If we continue to stand by the principles this nation was founded on, our country will be no worse for the wear.

LYDIA FENNESSY