Let’s try to get along for once

The elections are officially over. Maybe not for the Electoral College, but for the general public they are.

In other words, it is time to put the ad hominem Facebook rhetoric away for the next four years.

Especially if you voted Tuesday, the time for complaining is over. You did your part. It is not going to do any good to protest the national decision.

What’s in your best personal interest now is to establish your personal brand.

While you might feel the burning desire to educate your peers whenever you don’t agree, it’s not worth it.

And do you really want employers watching you call other people a “sexist ignorant four-letter-word” online? Probably not.

This year has been high stakes from the very beginning, between mass shootings, Harambe and the clowns.

Adding the election to that mix just puts them higher.

The staff at The Gannon Knight challenges you to overcome that tension as the holidays come closer and work to respect those you disagree with.

You might not be able to escape the political debates at your family’s Christmas table, but you do not need to press the issue.

Sometimes peaceful aversion is better than aggressive confrontation. And sometimes agreeing to disagree is the best you can do.

It is not the time to remain divided by ideologies, disappointment or political parties.

It is time for people in the U.S. to come together and work things out.

The next time you feel compelled to tell somebody off on social media, look for a post to lighten the mood instead. A page full of cat videos looks better than a page full of insults.