Don’t lose head for Homecoming

Fall is here. It’s the season of first exams, football, pumpkin-flavored everything and Homecoming.
Gannon University’s Homecoming festivities will open with a parade and football game against Mercyhurst Saturday.
You can vote for your favorite king and queen candidates, who appear on page 13 of this week’s issue.
The king and queen, along with the coveted award for the best Homecoming dance from the parade, will be crowned at the dance Saturday night.
The traditions you have experienced in high school with football games are carried out in college. Just remember, you are a student first.
Take some time for your assignments this weekend before you party like it’s 1999 in the decade-themed extravaganza.
Gannon and APB make a huge effort to keep students safe coming to and from Homecoming, with shuttles running from the Gannon Arch to the dance at the Zem Zem Shrine club.
Your school can only do so much, though. Use your common sense when it comes to the after parties and post-game celebrations.
If you feel like you’re part of a bad horror movie or a Greek life comedy, it’s probably a bad decision.
Be aware of your surroundings. As much as everybody tells you to be mindful of Gannon’s urban campus, a friendly reminder never hurt anyone. If you’re getting ready for the dance, remember to bring your dorm keys so Police and Safety doesn’t have to come to the rescue of yet another student.
Homecoming weekend should be fun, but don’t overdo it.