Editor realizes stress of life plans

Well, welcome back. I originally wanted to write about the detachment I was feeling once I returned to campus, but a full of week of classes prompted me to change my mind.
I am feeling all of the feelings at once, if that makes sense. I’m overwhelmed. Between my regular classes, starting my senior thesis and helping students at the Writing and Research Center, I’m booked.
No, I’m not here to whine about the trials of my senior year and the stress of graduating on time. That’s pretty much non-negotiable at this point.
The real contributor to my scatter-brained mental state is my personal life. In a little over eight months, I’ll be married. I got engaged to my favorite person in July, and my life has been overtaken with wedding prep and graduation prep since that day.
If you’ve read any of my columns last year, I’m sure you were sick of hearing about my boyfriend in the Marine Corps and how great I thought he was. I hate to disappoint you, but I still think he’s pretty great.
Jason requested leave over Independence Day this year, and was able to come home for 12 days in July. He proposed on the porch of my parents’ old house on the Fourth of July.
“We’ve had a lot of rainy days, don’t you think?” he asked as we looked out into the gray fog of Elk Street. It was raining, but I didn’t know what he was talking about.
“I mean, I guess,” I told him, leaning on his shoulder. I can’t remember what he said after that, but before I could think, Jason knelt and asked me to marry him.
I covered my mouth with my hands in an attempt not to cry. All I could say was yes. I think I said it three times before deciding to kneel down next to him.
“Babe, we have an announcement to make,” he told me slyly once we stood up.
And for the first time, I saw Jason make a little speech and not stutter or act embarrassed in the spotlight.
We are planning a wedding for June 2017 and I truly have empathy for my sister after watching her orchestrate her wedding last fall.
At the time, I was her maid of honor and I wouldn’t let her get away with complaining about any of her planning. Carly had such a picture-perfect vision for her wedding, and I can see how that would have driven her crazy now.
I started some research on table centerpieces and wedding attire over the summer, but most of it has been put on hold since school started up again. Luckily, Jason and I were able to arrange engagement pictures and a meeting with the church while he was home to propose.
We’ve been able to decide on most of the venues together so far, like the reception and the catering. He might not be able to meet anyone in person until the wedding, but I am grateful he’s in the states and I can ask his opinion on everything.
I just hope I can remember our opinions are the only ones that truly matter when it comes to our relationship, especially as I confide in others, including readers, to survive the rest of this year.