Things I’ve learned, people I value, fears I’ll face: Editor reflects

One of my friends asked me if I was excited to be a senior next year and I immediately said no.
“No?” he asked. “Why not?”
“Because it’s terrifying,” I told him. “I have to actually figure out what I’m doing with life.”
And that’s me answering that question as a junior. Most of the people I know who are graduating this semester have the same kind of fear. So I guess it’s normal. Not comforting, but normal.
On the bright side, I’ve learned some valuable things in the last three years. Freshman year taught me that change can be a good thing when I met heartbreak for the first time. Sophomore year taught me about the transience of life when my best friend lost her mom and left Gannon.
This year taught me about the importance of building bridges. I don’t think people intend to break bridges, but I did a lot of that sort of thing during my first two years here by being unapologetically vocal on everything that upset me. I was the queen of bitching, and I lost some potential friendships because of it.
I’m a writer. I’m far more broody than anyone should be, but I have since made an effort to see the good in situations. Maybe this was an easier resolution to have after I changed my major to something I was actually passionate about, but it has helped me.
We all have bad days. I get it. But it doesn’t hurt to make an active effort to see the bright side. Right now, I have a sun-coated view of Fourth Street and robins are calling from the window.
Nevermind the papers and two finals I should be studying for. It’s spring and I’m going to enjoy it.
I suppose you’re wondering how a glass half-full mentality helps you build bridges. The lesson here is that it’s easier to work with people when you appreciate them, no matter how much you disagree with them.
When it comes to conflict, I’d much rather avoid it than have to confront it, but I still believe in the magic of compromise. If that doesn’t work, use compliments and friendliness and hope you get through it.
Maybe some of your professors have talked on the importance of building contacts and connections with people in the world of employment. I think it’s good to do the same thing with your peers.
And it’s not just about making connections. It’s about supporting each other. For some reason, this is something women my age seem to struggle with.
I’ve seen plenty of social media movements on feminism and why women need to stop seeing each other as competition. It must be hard-wired for us to think all other women are after our men, but the reality is in general, people today are too absorbed in themselves to put effort into things like adultery.
I’m not in a sorority, but I think some of the appeal is joining a group of women who cheer each other on rather than gossip about each other. There is strength in that, and it took me three years to realize it, especially with the overwhelming female population at Gannon.
Thank you, Madison, Holly, Taylor, Mackenzie, Alexa and Taylor for teaching me about real “girl power.” I’m looking forward to sharing my last year with you guys, even if you’re not all here.
KELSEY GHERING