A solid weekend for all-girl, coed competitive cheer

Gannon University’s competitive cheer teams showed well at last weekend’s Jamfest! Cool Jam in Syracuse, N.Y., and Shout! I Love NY in Batavia, N.Y.
At the meet in Syracuse, both teams brought home medals. The coed team finished first among four and the all-girl squad placed second among seven teams.
The coed team stunted a 78.84 score, 1.05 points above second-place SUNY Brockport. The Knights also produced the division’s highest scores in stunts with 3.8/5, standing tumbling 4/5, standing tumbling technique 4.1/5, running tumbling technique 4.2/5, jump technique 4.1/5 and routine composition 4.4/5.
The team shared the highest score in stunt creativity, stunt technique, pyramids, running tumbling and performance.
Freshman Cameron Brown said the team did not compete to the best of its ability Saturday. “We need to work on performing as one unit instead of 11 individuals,” Brown said.
But he said he was proud that the team was able to hold it together and compete strong enough to beat their competitors.
“This taught us that it’s not how you fall but it’s how you get back up that truly matters,” Brown said.
The all-girl squad posted a score of 84.16, 2.73 points behind champion SUNY Cortland.
Gannon’s all-girl team had a perfect score of 5 on tosses. The Knights also scored the division high in stunt creativity with 4.5/5 and stunt technique 4/5. The team tied for best score in stunts 4.5/, running tumbling 4.6/5 and routine composition 9.4/10.
Both teams ended the weekend on a high note with two first-place finishes from the coed and all-girl teams with the same score of 86.8.
The coed team had an initial score of 87.8 but received a one-point deduction that bumped it down. The coed team’s highlight was its perfect score on jump difficulty in the tumbling skills event. The team earned 41.2/45 points on building skills, 22.5/30 for tumbling skills and 24.1/25 on overall routine impression.
The all-girl team earned a raw score of 89.3 before a 2.5-point deduction. The team produced perfect scores in toss difficulty, stunt quantity in the building skills event and jump difficulty in the tumbling skills event.
The Knights earned 43/45 points on building skills, 22/30 points on tumbling skills and 24.3/25 for overall routine impression.
Up next, both teams will head to the Battle at the Capitol on Saturday and Sunday in National Harbor, Mich.

BRANDON JACES