Change is a good thing; find who you really are

College is the period in our lives where we are able to reflect and decide who and what we are. Some people choose to get tattoos, change how they dress, experiment with music styles, explore faith and figure out what type of person they are. For me, I decided to make a drastic change to my hairstyle.
For the longest time my hair has been pretty simple. I would part it to one side and occasionally let bed head take over. It lay at my shoulders and the only thing unique about it was the natural red hue.
It was decided since I am playing a girl who disguises herself as a boy in the Schuster Theatre production of “Twelfth Night,” that I would cut my hair for the role. It took me a while to decide what style I wanted it to be in, but I eventually decided that Emma Watson’s hair in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” would be my best option. I am now this much closer to transforming into Hermione Granger.
I really liked it when I first got it cut. A weight was lifted off me because I had a lot of hair and I mean a lot. As I started to get used to the new cut I realized how much work actually goes into a shorter hair style. I’m used to letting my hair do whatever it wants, but now I have to get up earlier to straighten it or else it will get extremely poofy.
However, I have come to the realization that the change is not just in my hair. In high school, I was an extremely shy person. I would not go out of my way to talk to people and the only time I was able to express myself was through extracurricular activities.
Here at Gannon I have been able to put myself out there more than I would have expected during the two years I’ve been here. Being a theatre and communication major, I am required to do things that are out of my comfort zone.
I was required to have a radio shift as a disc jockey for Gannon’s own student-run radio station, 90.5 WERG. I have taken great strides in the university’s theatre department.
I’ve held positions such as run crew, ensemble, feature role and director. Next semester, I will be continuing my relationship with the theatre by collaborating with a friend of mine as co-directors for a play that is being featured in Fringe Fest.
I credit a lot of me coming out of my shell to the people in charge or involved in theatre.
I find when you surround yourself with people who are just as passionate – if not more – about your interests then you feel inclined to strive toward becoming a person who is devoted to everything you are involved in.
It is healthy for people to experience change because it allows for self-growth and discovery. You should do whatever you feel most comfortable with and never let others tell you who you should be.

MEGAN HAMM