No more Netflix binges with editor’s busy lifestyle

Sometimes, it feels like your entire life is constantly revolving around school. End of the semester projects, tests and homework start to pile up and you lose time for yourself.
Last year, I had time to binge watch TV shows as a way to relax. I made it through the entirety of “Criminal Minds” on Netflix within the first four weeks of school.
Right after that endeavor, I decided to dive into the world of “Call the Midwife.” I would watch two to three episodes per day, so I finished the three seasons of “Call the Midwife” that were available on Netflix in two weeks. I know, it all seems a bit drastic, but once I get hooked on a show there is no turning back.
Unfortunately, this year I don’t have the time to enjoy this luxury. Once I’m done with all my work I am usually drained and the only thing I want to do is crawl into bed, curl up into a ball and wait for sleep to take me away from the land of sorrow and never- ending schoolwork.
However, there is a way to make that productive time a little more bearable. I didn’t even think it was possible until I met my current roommate.
Every semester she chooses a band that she is fairly familiar with and works through their entire body of work in chronological order. So far, she has become obsessed with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. She has even taken the time to devote an entire Pinterest wall to Anthony Kiedis. While she may appear to be a fangirl, there really is a method to her madness.
It’s easy to find time to listen because it isn’t much of a distraction. All you need to do is find a playlist of your preferred band on Youtube, click on it and succumb to the power of music. Those stacks of schoolwork that have been piling up for weeks won’t seem like a chore anymore because the songs you’re listening to will counterbalance all of the depressing paper work.
My roommate is more than halfway through the semester and she has already familiarized herself with all of the music by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now, she has a gap in her life, and she has had to find a new band to listen to. She chose the Foo Fighters as the new group to devote her life to. Instead of fangirling over lead singer Anthony Kiedis, she has decided to move her focus to the Foo Fighters’ vocalist, Dave Grohl.
Since I have become busy this semester, I decided to try out her method. At first, I found it hard to think of a band I could tolerate, but in the end I found the perfect group to become obsessed with.
I decided on the gothic rock group from the late ’80s, the Pixies. I have found so many more songs than just “Where Is My Mind” and “Here Comes Your Man,” that are absolutely fantastic.
Even though it has only been a few days since I’ve started listening to the Pixies, I know I’ve found my newest obsession.
MEGAN HAMM