Mapping exhibit identifies solutions to make neighborhoods better places

Gannon Uiversity’s criminal justice department will be holding a crime mapping exhibit from 3 to 5 p.m. Dec. 10 in Room 219 of the Waldron Campus Center.

This exhibit will display a culmination of mapping projects conducted by students in the Crime Mapping class.

Christopher Magno, an assistant professor in the criminal justice program, is the instructor of the Crime Mapping class. He said the goal of the exhibit is to identify and discuss urban problems by mapping and coming up with various solutions.

“The discussion and exhibit will conclude in identifying human and social capital, individual skills and collective energy to make our neighborhoods better places to live,” Magno said.

Various agencies were invited by the department to attend the exhibit and speak on how they can utilize the maps.

Some of the agencies invited include Erie Police Department, SafeNet, the Crime Victim Center and the Office of Attorney General.

Magno said there will be nine maps on display at the exhibit. All maps are based on the 2013 to 2014 year and were created entirely by students.

A couple of the maps expected to be presented include “Relationships between Property Related Offenses and Poverty,” “Relationships between Crime and Poverty,” “Maps of the Human Service Directory” and “Crime Hotspots and Surveillance Technologies.”

Students will be available to answer questions about the maps, such as how they created the maps or any existing relationships among variables appearing on the maps.

For more information on the mapping exhibit email [email protected].

BECKY HILKER