Finding God on Gannon’s Campus

I have a pretty great view through my bedroom window of a large green-leafed tree, and I cannot wait until the leaves start turning colors.

This is really a cool time of year to go for walks and see all the colorful varieties of leaves that adorn the trees.

As I was walking back to my room from classes one day, I just found it exciting to see the leaves changing colors before they fall off.

Granted, I know it signals the end of glorious summer days, but autumn is just as special.

I was never one to collect leaves and put them in a scrapbook when I was younger, but I appreciate them as part of a landscape.

When I drive on good ol’ Route 79 to go home, the background of color looks like an artist dashed his paintbrush on a canvas in a random, yet brilliant way.

This artist even shows his work on the Gannon University campus, because even though Gannon is located in the middle of downtown Erie, we have so much color to brighten our day.

This “canvas of color” comes in so many hues and is emphasized so much in nature.

Again, this is an ideal time of year to take a stroll around Gannon’s campus.

The trees along Sixth Street are particularly beautiful.

I walk along that street every day, and I see some awesome colors.

I haven’t decided which color is my favorite, but I’m very partial to the fiery red and orange leaves.

I also highly recommend sitting outside and studying, or just eating lunch at one of the picnic tables on Friendship Green before it gets bitter cold.

Now, you might be saying, “What does this discussion of fall leaves possibly have to do with God?”

The turning of leaves in fall is a huge symbol of change – which is ever-present and so much a part of our lives.

As strongly as we want to be secure and keep things the way they are, they are bound to change.

Life is change.

Change can also be for better or for worse, but change is growth.

God wants us to grow too – in our relationship with him.

I’m also going to be deeply philosophical and hint at a symbolic connection between God and nature.

God is the “artist” I mentioned earlier; we see his marvelous work all around us.

The fall foliage, as well as the sunrises and sunsets are proof of that, in my opinion.

By the way, did you know Erie is ranked as one of the top places in the nation and the world for sunsets? It’s pretty cool, right?

I know I’m piggy-backing off of Jared’s article a couple of weeks ago, but it’s important to emphasize the importance of this season while we still have autumn.

We all know that before long there won’t be any leaves on those trees for a long while.

And as each day passes, even more leaves will have touched the ground, so get out there, and admire those leaves.

NATHAN DEMAREST